Trouble with VPN and Verizon MI424WR router - not connecting to company intranet
ckracht
Enthusiast - Level 2

I need to connect to my work intranet and via VPN.  There was no problem accessing both when I had Verizon DSL.   Since I switched to FIOS, I can access email via VPN but not my Company's internet and various internal company websites.  I saw a previous forum with a similar problem using the Actiontec router, but wanted to make sure I tried a correct fix for my router.  My router is connected via both Coax ad Ethernet to the ONT since I signed up for FIOS internet first and then added TV later.  I don't know if both are active.  I have a spare Linksys wireless G router I can add to the network  if needed.  My router firmware is 20.10.7.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trouble with VPN and Verizon MI424WR router - not connecting to company intranet
ckracht
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I could not see how the VPN software was the culprit since it worked at various hotels, Panera bread ... but decided to try to uninstall and re-install the latest version.  Viola, I am now working.  I plan to leave the linksys router in the system since the speed is significantly faster. 

View solution in original post

Re: Trouble with VPN and Verizon MI424WR router - not connecting to company intranet
Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

Both the WAN and coax have to be live if you can get on the 'net and you can make VOD, Widgets, and your TV's program guide work.   The coax from the router connects to your STB coax feed network through a splitter that is fed from the ONT. 

There should be someone on here who can help you troubleshoot your connection problems at work, or it may take someone from IT there?  Not sure.  Not my area, but hope someone here can answer it for you. Smiley Wink

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Arthurlw wrote:

Both the WAN and coax have to be live if you can get on the 'net and you can make VOD, Widgets, and your TV's program guide work.   The coax from the router connects to your STB coax feed network through a splitter that is fed from the ONT. 

Yep, OP see as need be http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

0 Likes
ckracht
Enthusiast - Level 2

Here's an update.  I spent almost 2 hours with Verizon 2nd level support.  The support person, Dan, was very considerate and tried his best o help fix my problem.  Here is what we did.  Inserted a Linksys Wireless G router in front of the Verizon Actiontec router.  My internet connection speed is faster, but it did not solve my VPN problem.  We then tried connecting my Laptop running VPN direct to the ONT.  Again, I could get to the internet, but my VPN connection was only partly functioning.  When I am running the VPN software, I can connect to my company's exchange server for email, but I can not get to my company's intranet via our proxy server.  We have at least deduced that the routers are not the root problem.  I was able to get to my company's intranet when I had DSL several months ago - I'm trying to isolate whether my Laptop configuration changed or if there is something different with a FIOS connection.  My next step is to go back to our IT folks and see if they have any thoughts.

Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

Ok, just guessing here since I have never messed with any VPNs, but is it possible that the install process of the software somehow configures itself based on your ISP's equipment?  Could it be as simple as doing an uninstall/reinstall of the software?  I mean it worked once, so why not again?  I can't see the ONT sitting there blocking anything.  It's more or less just a modem thingy that translates from fiber to copper, isn't it?  Maybe as you said your IT department may have a clue...

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@ckracht wrote:

I need to connect to my work intranet and via VPN.  There was no problem accessing both when I had Verizon DSL.   Since I switched to FIOS, I can access email via VPN but not my Company's internet and various internal company websites.  I saw a previous forum with a similar problem using the Actiontec router, but wanted to make sure I tried a correct fix for my router.  My router is connected via both Coax ad Ethernet to the ONT since I signed up for FIOS internet first and then added TV later.  I don't know if both are active.  I have a spare Linksys wireless G router I can add to the network  if needed.  My router firmware is 20.10.7.

Which VPN client are you sing?

I'm using the Cisco VPN client with no issues on a Westell 9100EM

0 Likes
Sabre70
Enthusiast - Level 3

I use Cisco as well with no issues on Windows XP.  Try checking your firewall setting or pop up blocker settings, sometimes they block access to the vpn client.  I have to use company issued firewall(Zonelabs) with Corp Symantec version in order for my VPN to work.  It may be possible there is something blocking you from getting to the intranet.  Just my 2cents.

0 Likes
ckracht
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I could not see how the VPN software was the culprit since it worked at various hotels, Panera bread ... but decided to try to uninstall and re-install the latest version.  Viola, I am now working.  I plan to leave the linksys router in the system since the speed is significantly faster. 

Arthurlw
Contributor - Level 1

@ckracht wrote:

Smiley Very Happy  Good show. 

Just make sure you have VOD working on your TV and you will be fine.  Some of these dual-router configs can get a bit tricky vis-a-vis the MoCA portion of the FIOS/Actiontec delivery system, or so I hear.... 

But yes, there are better wireless routers out there, to be sure.  As a matter of fact, the Actiontec gives lousy performance in wired mode as well.  Once I found it was limiting my internal network to 10/100 speed for file transfers between computers, I ran all my devices to a switch that works at 10/100/1000 and just connected the switch to the Actiontec by itself.  This way the only time any of my devices are subject to the limitations of the Actiontec are when they need to get out on the 'net.  In that application (as gateway to the outside) it works plenty good enough, at least in my situation....

0 Likes