Trouble with hard wired ethernet connectivity to Fios router
fios_dummy

My house is wired for ethernet.  I'm trying to connect another AP in my basement.  I have a small switch connected to the ethernet network in the house.  I need a switch because the AP is powered using POE.  The fios router sits in a closet on the main level.  Basement is unfinished so i'm not connecting to a wall plate, just an ethernet cable the fios tech labeled as the one that connects to the fios router in the closet.  So setup is like this:

my switch ---- fios ethernet cable ---- closet wall plate ---- fios router

Wifi works just fine.  But, I can't ping the fios router from my switch.  If I plug my switch directly into a port on the fios router, I can ping the router and out to the internet.  That tells me it shouldn't be a configuration issue.  But using the hard ethernet connections elsewhere in the house does not work.  

Further, it appears I have phsyical connectivity to the router from the basement.  When I unplug the ethernet cable from the port on the router, the switch port goes down.  So that proves connectivity.  

Any thoughts?

0 Likes
Re: Trouble with hard wired ethernet connectivity to Fios router
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The switch and the router are in the same closet? Or the switch is in the basement? Where are all the ethernet cables in the house terminated? It sounds like there might be a cabling issue. 

fios_dummy

Thanks for the reply.  The switch is in the basement and the router is in a closet on the main level.  I have ethernet cables run down to the basement which is unfinished.  I'm plugging one of those cables into the switch.  The termination point is at a wall plate in the closet where the router lives.  

I can unplug that ethernet cable at the fios router (main level closet) and I see the link lights die on my switch in the basement.  Plug it back in and the link lights on the switch fire back up.  

I would think a cabling issue is the most likely culprit, but based on that test I don't believe it is.  

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I was just thinking maybe one of the four pairs were not terminated properly.  For example if the ethernet feeding the switch has only two pairs it will probably have a link light at 100 mbps but not 1000. Of course without an ethernet test it would be difficult to figure out. Can you take a laptop and test the ethernet feeding the switch in the basement?