Truncated RTSP message with FIOS
stuart_athome
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've used FIOS Internet for a few weeks now with the Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 router, firmware 20.9.0.  Everything works great except for accessing video streams using RTSP.  If I "borrow" a neighbor's unsecured wireless, the video works fine.  Using WINDUMP, I captured the network interactions.  My computer makes an OPTIONS request, and I get back 206 bytes of options.  My computer makes a DESCRIBE request, and I get back 1033 bytes of information.  My computer makes a SETUP request and continues on.  On the FIOS network (either wireless or wired), my computer makes an OPTIONS request, and I get back 206 bytes of options.  My computer makes a DESCRIBE request, but I only get back 469 bytes.  The 469 bytes matches the beginning of the 1033 byte message from before.  I then seem to hang waiting on the rest of the message which never comes.  This doesn't seem to be a port forwarding issue because I get the first half of message.  I saw some other posts about RTSP, but it didn't look like they were resolved or not.  I wrote to a friend with FIOS and he cannot get RTSP videos either.

Thanks!

Stuart.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Truncated RTSP message with FIOS
stuart_athome
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded my Actiontec router to version 20.10.7 and it now works!   Yeah!

If anyone wants instructions, I found them here:

http://www.actiontec.com/support_cms/doc_files/MI424WR_Firmware_Upgrade.pdf

Thanks again to viafax999 for help narrow down the possibiltiies.

Stuart.

View solution in original post

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@stuart_athome wrote:

I've used FIOS Internet for a few weeks now with the Actiontec MI424WR-GEN2 router, firmware 20.9.0.  Everything works great except for accessing video streams using RTSP.  If I "borrow" a neighbor's unsecured wireless, the video works fine.  Using WINDUMP, I captured the network interactions.  My computer makes an OPTIONS request, and I get back 206 bytes of options.  My computer makes a DESCRIBE request, and I get back 1033 bytes of information.  My computer makes a SETUP request and continues on.  On the FIOS network (either wireless or wired), my computer makes an OPTIONS request, and I get back 206 bytes of options.  My computer makes a DESCRIBE request, but I only get back 469 bytes.  The 469 bytes matches the beginning of the 1033 byte message from before.  I then seem to hang waiting on the rest of the message which never comes.  This doesn't seem to be a port forwarding issue because I get the first half of message.  I saw some other posts about RTSP, but it didn't look like they were resolved or not.  I wrote to a friend with FIOS and he cannot get RTSP videos either.

Thanks!

Stuart.

Do you have an RTSP feed that I can access without having to hand over credit card info?

I'd like to see if I get the same error but every feed I attempt point me to Real Player superpass which will give me a 14 day freepass as long as I give them a credit card number which I will not do.

0 Likes
stuart_athome
Enthusiast - Level 2

@viafax999 wrote:

Do you have an RTSP feed that I can access without having to hand over credit card info?

I'd like to see if I get the same error but every feed I attempt point me to Real Player superpass which will give me a 14 day freepass as long as I give them a credit card number which I will not do.

Here is a test RTSP link that does not work when I connect with FIOS, but does work when I use the same computer on a different network.   I've tried the link in Apple's QuickTime Player (version 7.6.5) and VLC (version 1.0.3).  The link is:

rtsp://s-0-1.sg.softspb.com:554/test/test.mp4

Thanks again for trying this out!

Stuart.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Works with no issue here.  It automatically comes up in real player and audio and picture are fine, I'm quite impressed as I've never tried streaming video before.

Possibly your issue is the Actiontec router as I am using a Westell 9100EM

0 Likes
stuart_athome
Enthusiast - Level 2

@viafax999 wrote:

Works with no issue here.  It automatically comes up in real player and audio and picture are fine, I'm quite impressed as I've never tried streaming video before.

Possibly your issue is the Actiontec router as I am using a Westell 9100EM

Thanks for trying it.  After your post, I tried it with RealPlayer (version 11.1) and still no luck.  I agree that the most likely culprit is the router.  I guess I need to check for firmware updates.  I've already tried looking at router settings, but nothing seems obvious.

Thanks again.

Stuart.

0 Likes
stuart_athome
Enthusiast - Level 2

I upgraded my Actiontec router to version 20.10.7 and it now works!   Yeah!

If anyone wants instructions, I found them here:

http://www.actiontec.com/support_cms/doc_files/MI424WR_Firmware_Upgrade.pdf

Thanks again to viafax999 for help narrow down the possibiltiies.

Stuart.