Trying to ditch the gateway
NachoBelleGrand

I have purchased an Actiontec MoCA adapter that I read was good with Fios. I plug it in to all the coax and the Ethernet cable into my ports on my Asus Router. I get no coax light or communication with the internet. However I can plug my Verizon gateway in and the coax light comes on on my adaptor. What am I doing wrong or what do I need to get it to work so I can turn in my Gateway and stop paying rent on it. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trying to ditch the gateway
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK, so it sounds like you're trying to use this on the WAN side of your connection.  That won't work.   At least not that way.

First you need to understand that MoCA is a broadband technology.  That means there are different frequencies or channels over which the adapters can operate.   In short, your ActionTec adapter is running on one of the MoCA LAN frequencies (typically 1100Mhz although the newer ones will search across other ones such as 1200Mhz and 1300Mhz automatically).   In this manner, it would find any STB's you have on your network and allow them to communicate with it.    The WAN side of the Internet connection on your router (coming from the ONT) uses MoCA WAN frequencies -- essentially 1000Mhz.

The FiOS gateways are capable of running two frequencies simultaneously -- the WAN (1000Mhz) and LAN (1100Mhz) -- which is how on installations a single Coax connection from the ONT will allow you to access both the Internet and the STB's to also access the private side of the router and go thru it to get to the Internet on the other side.

Couple of possibilities here ... 

First, have Verizion reprovision you to deliver the Internet over Ethernet -- and then connect a Cat5/6 ethernet cable from your ONT to the WAN side of your ASUS router.   Connect the MoCA adapter to the Coax cable plant in your home and the ethernet side to one of the LAN ports on your ASUS router.   Now you'll have internet access and your STB's will also be able to reach the internet as well.

Other option if you have a dedicated cable run from your ONT to the location of your router -- have Verizion reprovision your ONT to deliver internet over ethernet.  Connect the ethernet side of a MoCA adapter to the ONT and the coax side to the dedicated cable run.  At the other end of the Coax run, connect another MoCA adapter to the coax and then connect it's ethernet to the WAN side of your ASUS router (think long extension cord with two "MoCA" plugs one at each end).  If you have STB's you'll need a third MoCA adapter connected to the in house Coax cable plant (seperate from your internet run but on the same cable plant as the STB's) and the ethernet connected to the LAN port of the ASUS.

You can do the above with a single cable plant and strategic placement of splitters and Lo-Pass filters (to block MoCA frequencies from travelling to different splits), but that's not an entry level home networking project.

The reason the light come on your adapter when you plug your Vz router in is that it finds another MoCA LAN device to pair with.

Note -- be advised that if you have higher speed service, MoCA 1.0/1.1 is limited to 100/175mb/s and MoCA 2.0 is limited to 500mb/s.  To get close to gigabit, you need bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters on each end.  Vz's MoCA based internet handoff is MoCA 1.1 (which is why they deploy all newer installs on ethernet which can handle gigabit speeds). 

View solution in original post

jonjones1
Legend

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios?

Read section 3.1 that should assist you.

Good Luck

NachoBelleGrand

I have one of the •Actiontec ECB6200 adaptors but it doesn't seem to work unless I have the Fios Gateway on the line. I am thinking I need a •Actiontec WCB6200Q to make it all work right after reading that material. Does that sound correct?

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@NachoBelleGrand wrote:

I have one of the •Actiontec ECB6200 adaptors but it doesn't seem to work unless I have the Fios Gateway on the line. I am thinking I need a •Actiontec WCB6200Q to make it all work right after reading that material. Does that sound correct?

You can use any personal owned router. Like your Asus. If you have tv you will need a MOCA adapter and a splitter but that site i gave you tells you how to do it.

a router like a netgear/asus/tp link have better wifi due to the radios being external and not internal. If you really want to use the asus any repeater/extender will or should work.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

OK, so it sounds like you're trying to use this on the WAN side of your connection.  That won't work.   At least not that way.

First you need to understand that MoCA is a broadband technology.  That means there are different frequencies or channels over which the adapters can operate.   In short, your ActionTec adapter is running on one of the MoCA LAN frequencies (typically 1100Mhz although the newer ones will search across other ones such as 1200Mhz and 1300Mhz automatically).   In this manner, it would find any STB's you have on your network and allow them to communicate with it.    The WAN side of the Internet connection on your router (coming from the ONT) uses MoCA WAN frequencies -- essentially 1000Mhz.

The FiOS gateways are capable of running two frequencies simultaneously -- the WAN (1000Mhz) and LAN (1100Mhz) -- which is how on installations a single Coax connection from the ONT will allow you to access both the Internet and the STB's to also access the private side of the router and go thru it to get to the Internet on the other side.

Couple of possibilities here ... 

First, have Verizion reprovision you to deliver the Internet over Ethernet -- and then connect a Cat5/6 ethernet cable from your ONT to the WAN side of your ASUS router.   Connect the MoCA adapter to the Coax cable plant in your home and the ethernet side to one of the LAN ports on your ASUS router.   Now you'll have internet access and your STB's will also be able to reach the internet as well.

Other option if you have a dedicated cable run from your ONT to the location of your router -- have Verizion reprovision your ONT to deliver internet over ethernet.  Connect the ethernet side of a MoCA adapter to the ONT and the coax side to the dedicated cable run.  At the other end of the Coax run, connect another MoCA adapter to the coax and then connect it's ethernet to the WAN side of your ASUS router (think long extension cord with two "MoCA" plugs one at each end).  If you have STB's you'll need a third MoCA adapter connected to the in house Coax cable plant (seperate from your internet run but on the same cable plant as the STB's) and the ethernet connected to the LAN port of the ASUS.

You can do the above with a single cable plant and strategic placement of splitters and Lo-Pass filters (to block MoCA frequencies from travelling to different splits), but that's not an entry level home networking project.

The reason the light come on your adapter when you plug your Vz router in is that it finds another MoCA LAN device to pair with.

Note -- be advised that if you have higher speed service, MoCA 1.0/1.1 is limited to 100/175mb/s and MoCA 2.0 is limited to 500mb/s.  To get close to gigabit, you need bonded MoCA 2.0 adapters on each end.  Vz's MoCA based internet handoff is MoCA 1.1 (which is why they deploy all newer installs on ethernet which can handle gigabit speeds).