Trying to get Open NAT Type on 2 Xbox 360's at the same time
TallgeeseIV

After buying 3 new routers in a row trying to find a compatible router at my last house with Comcast, I finally found one that works then move to a house with Fios. I LOVE the speed... but this modem/router took our nat issue back to square one... obviously we're trying to play CoD: MW3 together, but we're both getting moderate NAT. I read a couple posts on the forums here and nobody could offer up a solution (looks like it has something to do with a NAT table that's too small or something?)

Anyway, I came up with a potential solution but it's something I've never done before, maybe someone else knows how:

I'm trying to connect my old dlink router to the actiontec router's internet connection, then have the xbox's connected to the dlink router with dhcp enabled. my theory is to make the actiontec router accept whatever traffic is coming through the dlink router, without knowing what devices are connected to the dlink router.

in this way the dlink router could potentially control the NAT between the xbox's via UPnP by itself, and the actiontec router would have the xbox live ports forwarded to the dlink router's ip address.

Am I crazy, could this work? so far I have the dlink router on a seperate subnet (192.168.0.1) while the actiontec is 192.168.1.1. the dlink router can ping machines on the actiontec router's network but not vice versa. also the dlink router cannot access the internet through the actiontec router yet. which is why i'm here. if this could work, can anyone explain how to set it up?

0 Likes
Re: Trying to get Open NAT Type on 2 Xbox 360's at the same time
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@TallgeeseIV wrote:

Am I crazy, could this work? so far I have the dlink router on a seperate subnet (192.168.0.1) while the actiontec is 192.168.1.1. the dlink router can ping machines on the actiontec router's network but not vice versa. also the dlink router cannot access the internet through the actiontec router yet. which is why i'm here. if this could work, can anyone explain how to set it up?

Change the dhcp range on the Actiontec to reserve some adrees for static devices e.g. 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.240.

Configure the Dlink router to have a static WAN address on the 192.168.1.x subnet e.g. 192.168.1.254 gateway 192,168.1.1 mas 255.255.255.0 DNS 192.168.1.1 or yfor dns you could use your favourite public dns servers on the internet.  Enable dhcp on the Dlink using 192.168.0.1  Set the wireless on the Dlink to be a different SSID to the Actiontec and use it for access.  Any machine getting it's address from either the actiontec or the dlink should now be able to access the internet.

To enable communications from devices on the 192.168.1 subnet to the 192.168.0 subnet you would have to build static routes.  Personally I don't think it's worth the effort and just use the VZ router as a gateway to enable thru traffic to my own routers and also to control the STBs so just connect all my devices to the internal router either via ethernet or wireless.

0 Likes
Re: Trying to get Open NAT Type on 2 Xbox 360's at the same time
amais
Enthusiast - Level 2

@TallgeeseIV wrote:

After buying 3 new routers in a row trying to find a compatible router at my last house with Comcast, I finally found one that works then move to a house with Fios. I LOVE the speed... but this modem/router took our nat issue back to square one... obviously we're trying to play CoD: MW3 together, but we're both getting moderate NAT. I read a couple posts on the forums here and nobody could offer up a solution (looks like it has something to do with a NAT table that's too small or something?)

Anyway, I came up with a potential solution but it's something I've never done before, maybe someone else knows how:

I'm trying to connect my old dlink router to the actiontec router's internet connection, then have the xbox's connected to the dlink router with dhcp enabled. my theory is to make the actiontec router accept whatever traffic is coming through the dlink router, without knowing what devices are connected to the dlink router.

in this way the dlink router could potentially control the NAT between the xbox's via UPnP by itself, and the actiontec router would have the xbox live ports forwarded to the dlink router's ip address.

to get both working, you must enable uPNP on your router. If you are connecting your xboxes to your Actiontec, same rule applies. There is no way to allow two xbox's to connect with OpenNAT without uPNP.

Your best bet (if you can't move the actiontek behind your D-LINK) is to hook the two xbox's up to the Actiontec (preferable wired, but wifi should work).

I have 2 xbox's running fine with uPNP enabled. Both have OpenNAT.