Trying to upgrade to 200 Mbps w/o tech visit
MassFios1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

Currently have a new GPON, a new G3100 router and I have run ethernet cable from ONT to router. Want to upgrade speed. Thought I could do w/o a technician visit which is $149. Online chat says it must be done with technician, but that I could self-install after they send me ethernet cable and I must put router within 6 feet of ONT. I asked how come but could not get a sensible answer. Am I wrong thinking a tech visit is not needed, for $149 and not until beginning of May to boot? Help and thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Trying to upgrade to 200 Mbps w/o tech visit
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is your WAN connection currently using ethernet or coax? Just connecting ethernet to the ONT won’t work. Verizon has to change your WAN from MoCA to ethernet. Also the router doesn’t need to be 6 feet from the ONT. They were misinformed. 
Since you already have ran the ethernet try @VerizonSupport via Twitter or Verizon Direct at dslreports.com to switch you from MoCA to ethernet. Once that is done wait a day or so and then try upgrading to 200 mbps. It should let you sef-install. Even though you have a GPON ONT and a G3100 Verizon will send a tech out if you are on MoCA. 

Re: Trying to upgrade to 200 Mbps w/o tech visit
MassFios1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you very much. I will first try over at DSLReports as you suggest. I appreciate your help and reply! John

0 Likes