Trying to use moca over existing home coax network
Rog_bunt

so I have a g3100 router and a e3200 extender. I pay for 1gbps speeds at my home. So the Verizon guy installs the router and connects the extender and tells me I can move the extender anywhere in the house or hook it up to coax and get faster lan speeds instead of using WiFi. I have never used or even heard of MoCa before this experience, but the idea of using existing home coax versus running Ethernet through my attic just sounds amazing, especially if I can still get that 1gbps anywhere there is a coax jack. I verified the router is connect with Ethernet and is also connect to a coax wall jack, also I verified with an Ethernet connection that the router is receiving 1gbps. So I take my extender and move it to the room next door, connect it to the coax jack and when I turn it on, it has a solid white light. I connect my computer to it via Ethernet and for some reason, I only get 300mbps. Also there is not a green light by the coax connector on the back of the extender. So I’m pretty sure the extender is just using WiFi to connect to the router to supply me 300mbps of internet. I feel like I may be miss understanding moca and how it works in a home. Is there a setting for the extender and router to use moca? Does moca mean I get gbps speeds at all of my coax jacks? Assuming I have a router that is connected to the coax network and is also receiving 1gbps internet speeds. How can I use my coax in my home to work with my extender and give me that 1gbps? Thank you for the help! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Trying to use moca over existing home coax network
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to make sure the coax wires connected to your router and your extender are connected together in a parallel fashion. In a typical house, there should be a place where all the coax wires terminate. All of these coax wires should be connected to a common splitter to establish a parallel connection with each other. See my coax splitter as an example.image

You also need to make sure the coax splitter is MoCA compatible, that is having a frequency passthrough higher than 1000MHz and typically lower than 1750MHz (the upper bound can be higher).

If your coax wires are not even terminated, you need to terminate them with appropriate connectors and tools and get a free 2-way coax splitter from a Verizon corporate store/authorized retailer with Fios-demonstration combabilities.

Here's what a two-way splitter looks like before Verizon rebranding and after. Notice the logo change.

Also, you could get free coax splitters from the technician and ask the technician to terminate all the coax wires if applicable.

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you don’t have a green coax LAN light on your G3100 then that coax isn’t connected. Take a look in your basement or utility room where your coax lines originate. See if they are all connected to a splitter. The one or both connected to your G3100 or E3200 may not be connected at the splitter. 

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

You need to make sure the coax wires connected to your router and your extender are connected together in a parallel fashion. In a typical house, there should be a place where all the coax wires terminate. All of these coax wires should be connected to a common splitter to establish a parallel connection with each other. See my coax splitter as an example.image

You also need to make sure the coax splitter is MoCA compatible, that is having a frequency passthrough higher than 1000MHz and typically lower than 1750MHz (the upper bound can be higher).

If your coax wires are not even terminated, you need to terminate them with appropriate connectors and tools and get a free 2-way coax splitter from a Verizon corporate store/authorized retailer with Fios-demonstration combabilities.

Here's what a two-way splitter looks like before Verizon rebranding and after. Notice the logo change.

Also, you could get free coax splitters from the technician and ask the technician to terminate all the coax wires if applicable.