Turn Off WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode on Actiontec Rev I WiFi Router
PJL
Master - Level 3

Does anyone know how to do this?  I'm troubleshooting a WiFi compatiblity is and I need to turn WPA off and have the router use WPA2 only.  Thanks in advance!

0 Likes
Re: Turn Off WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode on Actiontec Rev I WiFi Router
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Click on Wireless Settings > Basic Seucirty Settings and in #4, "Click on the button next to WEP," select "Off."

Click on "Apply" at the bottom of the page.

Then, if haven't already done so, click on Advanced Security Settings, select WPA2,  complete

the setup page the comes up and click Apply.

That should do it.

Note:  If all of your devices support 802.11n, you can also go to Advanced Security Settings >  Level 3, 8022.11b/g/n mode and select Performance Mode(802.11n).   That will disable WEP.

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@Thaeljefe wrote:

Click on Wireless Settings > Basic Seucirty Settings and in #4, "Click on the button next to WEP," select "Off."

Click on "Apply" at the bottom of the page.

Then, if haven't already done so, click on Advanced Security Settings, select WPA2,  complete

the setup page the comes up and click Apply.

That should do it.

Note:  If all of your devices support 802.11n, you can also go to Advanced Security Settings >  Level 3, 8022.11b/g/n mode and select Performance Mode(802.11n).   That will disable WEP.

Thank you for your suggestion, but it does not work. WEP is already off in the basic settings screen (the "on" button is greyed because I"m already running in performance mode), and WPA2 is already enabled -- as is WPA which is the issue at hand.  I cannot find a way to turn WPA off.

Any other suggestions?

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

What is leading you to believe that WEP is still enabled?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3
I indicated that WEP is off, not enabled. WPA in on as is WPA2. I want to run only WPA2, not the mixed mode of both.
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

(Smack.  Sound of me slapping my forehead.)

Sorry, I misread your posts.  A senior moment here.

Having confessed that, what is it that makes you think WPA is still enabled?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3
We all have those momments 🙂

My Android tablet exlicitly shows (in the WiFi settings or in WiFi monitoring apps) the mode an access point is using. For example , my Netgear extender (which has clear settings for WPA, WPA2, or both) shows what is set.
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I don't have an Android device nor a Netgear extender so I can't see what you're seeing.  However, with the settings discussed earlier, inSSIDer on my laptop shows Actiontec's wifi is WPA2-PSK.

Also, here's what the Wireless Status shows on the Actiontec with WPA or WP2 selected:

Is it possible that your Android tablet and Netgear extender show WPA/WPA2 when either method is employed?

If you switch the Actiontec to WPA, do those two devices still show both WPA and WPA2?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@eljefe wrote:

I don't have an Android device nor a Netgear extender so I can't see what you're seeing.  However, with the settings discussed earlier, inSSIDer on my laptop shows Actiontec's wifi is WPA2-PSK.

Also, here's what the Wireless Status shows on the Actiontec with WPA or WP2 selected:

Is it possible that your Android tablet and Netgear extender show WPA/WPA2 when either method is employed?

If you switch the Actiontec to WPA, do those two devices still show both WPA and WPA2?

When I set the Actiontec to WPA I see a screen like your first one.  When I set it to WPA2 I see one like your second.  The Android tablet show exactly what a WiFi is broadcasting.  I confirmed this by switching the extender to WPA only, WPA2 only, and WPA/WPA2 (both) and the table confirmed the three different modes (WPA only, WPA2 only and WPA/WPA2 both).  If I switch the Actiontec to WPA only (click on WPA on the Actiontec and then apply) the tablet correctly shows WPA only.  If I switch the Actiontec to WPA2 only (click on on WPA on the Actiontec and then apply) the tablet shows WPA and WPA2.  Again, on the Netgear extender the tablet will show exactly what the device is set to.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok.  I'm pretty much running out of ideas since I can't duplicate what you're seeing.  I hope someone else will jump in with some suggestions that help.

One more thing before I give up (at least for the time being), do you have anywhere else available that has FiOS with an Actiontec router, a neighbor maybe, where you could check to see if you get the same results on your tablet?  That might give a hint whether or not there's a problem with your Actiontec, or if there's some setting to change the way it's broadcasting.

I find myself speculating that the tablet is wrong.  I'm hard pressed to imagine the Actiontec would be broadcasting WPA when you have WPA2 enabled. Smiley Frustrated

0 Likes