Turning off FiOS router radio
debalex55
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have FiOS internet, TV, and phone. If I turn off the wifi radio of my verizon router (Actiontec MI424WR Rev I) so that I can use a Time Capsule's Wifi instead (which seems to output a better signal for my macbook pro) will I lose TV functionality, like DVR program data? The Time Capsule's WAN port is plugged into an LAN port on the Actiontec router.

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Turning off FiOS router radio
CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

When you connect a LAN port on the Actiontec to a WAN port on your time capsule you have double NATed your time capsule behind the Actiontec.

Not a problem but once you turn off the WiFi on the Actiontec the only way you will be able to administer the Actiontec is by using a computer connected directly to a LAN port on the Actiontec unless you enable remote access which should be avoided since it is a big security risk.

Also to prevent problems in a double NAT setup you should put the time capsule in its own subnet and set the time capsules WAN IP to static and assign it an IP in the Actiontec's subnet.

I run a router double NATed behind my Actiontec with no problems.    Don't let people tell you it won't work, will cause problems, slow things down.  It doesn't.  

View solution in original post

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

What you want to do should work without any problem.  Turning off WiFi will have no effect on your Actiontec's other functions.

CaptainSTX
Contributor - Level 3

When you connect a LAN port on the Actiontec to a WAN port on your time capsule you have double NATed your time capsule behind the Actiontec.

Not a problem but once you turn off the WiFi on the Actiontec the only way you will be able to administer the Actiontec is by using a computer connected directly to a LAN port on the Actiontec unless you enable remote access which should be avoided since it is a big security risk.

Also to prevent problems in a double NAT setup you should put the time capsule in its own subnet and set the time capsules WAN IP to static and assign it an IP in the Actiontec's subnet.

I run a router double NATed behind my Actiontec with no problems.    Don't let people tell you it won't work, will cause problems, slow things down.  It doesn't.  

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@CaptainSTX wrote:

"Not a problem but once you turn off the WiFi on the Actiontec the only way you will be able to administer the Actiontec is by using a computer connected directly to a LAN port on the Actiontec unless you enable remote access which should be avoided since it is a big security risk."

Not true.  You can still access the Verizon router at 192.168.1.1 from equipment on the secondary subnet.

Theoretically, by using static routes you should also be able from equipment on the Verizon subment to access equipment on the secondary subnet however I've never been able to make that happen apart from access to the admin page of the secondary router.

the1Gman1964

I have a question for you. I went on to the site for the router and there is two options for turning the wifi off. Did you turn off both or just one? 2,4GHz and 5Ghz did you turn off both, and is everything still working?

@stevealex wrote:

I have FiOS internet, TV, and phone. If I turn off the wifi radio of my verizon router (Actiontec MI424WR Rev I) so that I can use a Time Capsule's Wifi instead (which seems to output a better signal for my macbook pro) will I lose TV functionality, like DVR program data? The Time Capsule's WAN port is plugged into an LAN port on the Actiontec router.

Thanks

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If you have an Actiontec Rev I, you can go to Wireless Settings > Basic Security Settings and select Turn Wireless Off.

That's my setting here and yes, everything is still working. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

If you have an Actiontec Rev I, you can go to Wireless Settings > Basic Security Settings and select Turn Wireless Off.

That's my setting here and yes, everything is still working. 

The rev I does not have 5mps.  ONly 2.4.  You simply turn of the wireless off as eljefe says.

I don't have the Quantum Gateway but it has 2.4 and 5 bands.  Each band would have to be turned off.

0 Likes