Two Routers
ddsscs
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have two routers. I want one to be my primary and provide access to internet it is on the first floor connected  to fios via coax. I want to place the second router on the third floor as a second access point to the same wifi supplied by the primary. When I reset them they both assign themselves to 192.168.1.1. How do I have to configure the second router to act just as another access point to my wifi and interfere with the funtion of the primary? I will be connecting the second router to the coax vios feed. I know for the second router I have to disable DHCP and use the first router for internet access but I am not sure what further settings I would have to do. 

0 Likes
Re: Two Routers
jonjones1
Legend

Just get a Verizon extender.

this way you will not have to make this a harder job than it has to be.

http://www.dslreports.com

is a good place to learn how to do different setups. Click on forums, then go to the FAQ for fios and you will be all set.

0 Likes
Re: Two Routers
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Disable it dhcp and consider assigning it a permanent IP addr on your network.  Probably best if you insist on using the same SSID to also assign  different channels to the primary and secondary router.  IF you are talking to verizon routers make sure to disable its setting to connect to the ONT on your secondary router.

Lots of descriptions on doning this on DSLreport site.

0 Likes