Type of Coax
sniggihj
Enthusiast - Level 2

FIOS was installed about 4 weeks ago.  I let them do what they recommended and the router is now in the basement.  Wireless coverage in the house is spotty and I want to move the router up to the first floor.  They used coax to bring the line into the house to the router.  I want to extend this.  What type of coax should I use?  I have RG6/U.  Can I just connect that to the end of the existing line and bring it up?

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Type of Coax
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah, if it is that short you should have no issues. Generally you wont have any issues unless you get 100+ feet.

Definatly save the money. They will not do any better job than you can do yourself.

But I'd check on the price. If it has been installed within 30 days, the install should still be under "warrenty" and they should move the connection at no charge.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yes, RG6 is what you should be using.

There should be no problem with just extending that. As long as you are not going too far. But the problem will be is the signal strength strong enough to travel the distance? Only one way to tell. Try.

One other thought. Do you have Verizon TV service? If so, just go out and get a high bandwidth dual directional splitter (1GHZ or better) and just split one of the TV connections and you can install the router in any room that has TV service. May be easier.

sniggihj
Enthusiast - Level 2

No TV, just internet & phone.  The line is going to move about 25 feet from where it is now.  They ran the line from outside to the router for a total of about 10 feet of cable so the whole run will be about 35 feet or so.  I set up a time for them to come out and do it, but I'd rather save the $80 they want to charge for the service call.

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Yeah, if it is that short you should have no issues. Generally you wont have any issues unless you get 100+ feet.

Definatly save the money. They will not do any better job than you can do yourself.

But I'd check on the price. If it has been installed within 30 days, the install should still be under "warrenty" and they should move the connection at no charge.

sniggihj
Enthusiast - Level 2

It was installed on Jan 7 so I am just outside of the 30 day window.  Also they won't come out for two more weeks.

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

If it's 25 feet, you should be able to find a pre-terminated length of RG6 at Home Depot or Lowes.

Leave the 10 foot run in place from the ONT and use a barrel connector to connect the two runs.

If your ONT is outside, you'll save yourself the trouble of resealing the hole where the coax passes into the house.