UDP vs. TCP??
Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3

Ever since switching to FiOS I've been having intermittent problems getting my computer to recognize my TV (via on-line remote DVR control) and my TV to recognize my phone (via caller-ID).  Rebooting, refreshing, reinitializing, redoing port mapping, and various other interventions beginning with "re-" have been either unsuccessful or have worked only for a few days.

Today someone at Verizon decided that it might help to change my protocol from TCP to UDP.  Could someone who speaks port kindly explain whether this is likely to solve the problem and whether I might notice any changes (positive, negative, or neutral) with my Internet connection or TV viewing as a result of this change?

Thanks.

Re: UDP vs. TCP??
Hubrisnxs
Legend

it is likely to make a big difference, if you are using an actiontec router. 

if you are using a different router then it needs TCP.   

Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am indeed using an Actiontec.  Could you kindly explain the nature of the difference(s)?

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Kent wrote:

Could you kindly explain the nature of the difference(s)?

I can explain the difference, but I can't explain why it makes a difference to on-screen caller-id and remote DVR.

User Datagram Protocol is a simple connectionless protocol with no acknowledgement of packets or assurance of delivery.  It's used in such applications as video streaming where it's not critical if a packet gets dropped.

Transmission Control Protocol is a connection oriented protocol with explicit acknowledgement of packets to ensure that every packet is delivered and that they arrive in the correct order.

Kent
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.  I had looked up the definition of the two terms, but I'm interested in knowing the impact of this change, if any, on my system.

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi, there won't be any impact on your system or your configuration.  When they change from TCP to UDP, they are doing it only for that feature, not your entire network.      The UDP is a little looser restriction on how information gets from point A to B, so tiny imperfections in the packets won't cause that many errors.  The actiontec doesn't seem to play nice with TCP for whatever reason (other routers need it)  and so UDP is the way to go for actiontec's