USB Printers with Quantum Gateway?
merrick777

Just switched from Optimum to FiOS.  I have 2 printers (old, not wi-fi) that I previously had plugged into my wireless router (Belkin N750DB) via USB. I was able to print to either of the printers wirelessly using the router's software. Now have Quantum Gateway and it has 2 USB ports, but I can't figure out how to print. Help pls! If it matters, I mostly use a MAC but have Windows system as well. Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: USB Printers with Quantum Gateway?
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can probably make the Belkin function only as a print server.  You'd need to disable it's WiFi and DHCP server, then connect it to the Quantum router using one of the Belkin's LAN ports.  Then, it will be just another device on your network and visible to all.

You should consult the Belkin manuals and/or search for suggestions on the Belkin and other web sites.

God Luck.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

The USB ports on the gateway don't do much right now besides act as a power source.

0 Likes
merrick777

Hmmm. Sux.

Ok, so I guess I need like a 2-port wireless print server?

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Yes.

Or you can probably use your belkin router to do it as well.

Can't say how as I don't have that model router, but I would think if you plugged it in to a port on the qantum router in to its wan port, you should be able to use it to connect to printers.

0 Likes
merrick777
Thanks- yeah, I can use the Belkin but then I'd have to have 2 separate SSIDs- one from the FiOS gateway (super crazy fast!) and the other from the Belkin (slow) and I'd have to switch networks every time I print. 😐
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can probably make the Belkin function only as a print server.  You'd need to disable it's WiFi and DHCP server, then connect it to the Quantum router using one of the Belkin's LAN ports.  Then, it will be just another device on your network and visible to all.

You should consult the Belkin manuals and/or search for suggestions on the Belkin and other web sites.

God Luck.

0 Likes