Re: Unable To Connect To Certain Websites
shirleylacroix
Enthusiast - Level 2
Same issue here in DFW Area (Lantana). Started Monday morning. SMTP of my iCloud Mail wouldn't send on any device when connected to WiFi also certain websites or parts of websites. iCloud.com apple.com - thought it was my Apple account so spent hours with Apple. Then I noticed other sites - onlinelearningexchange.com plus bank sites. Other sites worked but were VERY slow. Called tech support and they finally admitted TX outage for certain servers. Reducing the MTU has seemed to work but when will they fix this right! Wasted lots of work time trying to get access!
athakur999
Enthusiast - Level 1

I had the same problem here in Wylie.  It seemed to start after I rebooted the router.  My wife was complaining about Bank of America's site not working.  Chrome would just get stuck at "establishing secure connection".  

Changing the MTU on my router to 1496 worked for me.  I disagree with marking this thread as "fixed" though - this is a workaround only.  Hopefully Verizon is still trying to figure out why MTU 1500 stopped working.

RE: Trouble accessing some sites… slow when I do
jfrhodes1

What was wrong (especially yesterday) with my Verizon Fios internet? It will not access some sites, including my bank and the apple system update server. I can access these sites, if I use the personal hotspot feature of verizon wireless phone. Today, I seem to finally be able to access them, but they respond very slowly.  ;-(

0 Likes
shirleylacroix
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have tweeted this issue to Verizon and DFW Area NBC as no explanation or ETA of fix is unacceptable. Twitter Verizon wants me to "chat" but I refused as I spoke yesterday and they opened a ticket. Now they respond that they don't have an ETA for the fix! This is ridicioulous. 

jansenhall1

I am in Carrollton, TX and had the same issues with the Bank of America website, among others.  Inability to access my online banking account and pay my bills is a BIG issue for me.  I also changed the MTU, and it is working....for now.  Thanks so much to the person upstream who posted the "how to" screen shots.

0 Likes
ipilcher
Enthusiast - Level 1

+1

The lack of information/denial is completely unacceptable.  I just spent 20 minutes or so going in circles on the Verizon web site, and I can't even find a place to report a problem!

0 Likes
riesjj
for me it was the icloud sites as well. I have changed the MTU on my router to the suggested size and it has worked for now...
0 Likes
PebblePlace

There isn't a simple way to "report" a problem.  Options are to start a chat session with a representative or call Verizon.  I've had two chat session during the past two days.

In the first session they reset my IP address; that addressed an issue with one website.  I asked representative how to do this myself, she said to turn off the FIOS router for 30 minutes, and when it reboots a new IP address will be assigned.  

Yesterday's second session was fruitless.  The representative said they were aware of the problem and it would be fixed in 24-48 hours.  Given this is a customer effecting service outtage, the 24-48 hour answer left me dumbstruck...  We should get service credits on our monthly bills when these outtages occur.

With many sites still inaccessible (I'm in North Plano, TX), I found this thread and the 1496 MTU suggestion.  Tried that and it seems to have worked.

Like others, I did traceroutes on the URLs I couldn't reach and the issue appears to be something DNS releated on the Verizon side.  While changing the MTU on the FIOS router, I noted the firmware - it's still at the .2 revision (not the .3 update some people mentioned).  The default on my router was NOT to auto check for updates.

0 Likes
cbenard
Enthusiast - Level 2

Aircam (and others), I keep adding sites that are inaccessible that you are mentioning to my blog post on the workaround. If you have any others, please feel free to add them in the comments so others can find it that way, and as I have time, I'll integrate them into the post.

Please think about sharing it on twitter as well. My original post on it has gotten a lot of RTs on Twitter.

The blog post is here:

How To Fix Verizon FiOS Problem Connecting To Websites

I link to this forum in the post as well. Thanks to the giants whose shoulders I have stood on in this thread (Smith6612).

0 Likes
hattrik21
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was talking to a chat rep this morning and they claimed it is fixed and I had to factory reset my router. I told him no thank you and what setting are you wanting to reset/verify and he couldn't answer. He then went on to say I needed a new IP to "fix" my issue. I'm at the office so I haven't had a chance to releaes my IP and try to obtain a new one so I can't say it's fixed or not but based on the newer posts I'm going to say probably not.

0 Likes