I had the same problem here in Wylie. It seemed to start after I rebooted the router. My wife was complaining about Bank of America's site not working. Chrome would just get stuck at "establishing secure connection".
Changing the MTU on my router to 1496 worked for me. I disagree with marking this thread as "fixed" though - this is a workaround only. Hopefully Verizon is still trying to figure out why MTU 1500 stopped working.
What was wrong (especially yesterday) with my Verizon Fios internet? It will not access some sites, including my bank and the apple system update server. I can access these sites, if I use the personal hotspot feature of verizon wireless phone. Today, I seem to finally be able to access them, but they respond very slowly. ;-(
I have tweeted this issue to Verizon and DFW Area NBC as no explanation or ETA of fix is unacceptable. Twitter Verizon wants me to "chat" but I refused as I spoke yesterday and they opened a ticket. Now they respond that they don't have an ETA for the fix! This is ridicioulous.
I am in Carrollton, TX and had the same issues with the Bank of America website, among others. Inability to access my online banking account and pay my bills is a BIG issue for me. I also changed the MTU, and it is working....for now. Thanks so much to the person upstream who posted the "how to" screen shots.
There isn't a simple way to "report" a problem. Options are to start a chat session with a representative or call Verizon. I've had two chat session during the past two days.
In the first session they reset my IP address; that addressed an issue with one website. I asked representative how to do this myself, she said to turn off the FIOS router for 30 minutes, and when it reboots a new IP address will be assigned.
Yesterday's second session was fruitless. The representative said they were aware of the problem and it would be fixed in 24-48 hours. Given this is a customer effecting service outtage, the 24-48 hour answer left me dumbstruck... We should get service credits on our monthly bills when these outtages occur.
With many sites still inaccessible (I'm in North Plano, TX), I found this thread and the 1496 MTU suggestion. Tried that and it seems to have worked.
Like others, I did traceroutes on the URLs I couldn't reach and the issue appears to be something DNS releated on the Verizon side. While changing the MTU on the FIOS router, I noted the firmware - it's still at the .2 revision (not the .3 update some people mentioned). The default on my router was NOT to auto check for updates.
Aircam (and others), I keep adding sites that are inaccessible that you are mentioning to my blog post on the workaround. If you have any others, please feel free to add them in the comments so others can find it that way, and as I have time, I'll integrate them into the post.
The blog post is here:
I link to this forum in the post as well. Thanks to the giants whose shoulders I have stood on in this thread (Smith6612).
I was talking to a chat rep this morning and they claimed it is fixed and I had to factory reset my router. I told him no thank you and what setting are you wanting to reset/verify and he couldn't answer. He then went on to say I needed a new IP to "fix" my issue. I'm at the office so I haven't had a chance to releaes my IP and try to obtain a new one so I can't say it's fixed or not but based on the newer posts I'm going to say probably not.