Unable to RDP via ethernet connection but able to do wirelessly
gb19731
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a server plugged directly into the router via ethernet that I used to always RDP into to perform maintenace etc. I had remote desktop enabled, assigned a static IP, and the firewall was disabled and everything was working fine for 10 years.

I recently upgraded my router from the ActionTec to the G1100 and now I am unable to remote into the server at all. I spoked with Verizon tech support and they thought maybe the router was bad so they sent me a G3100 and when I plugged it in, I got the same thing - I cannot rdp into the server.

I tested this by plugging in my laptop and I am not able to remote into the laptop either via ethernet.

I am able to remote if I disconnect the ethernet and connect wirelessly. Any ideas of what could cause this?

I've tried everything I can think of at this point including switching the router firewall down to low security. I also switched back to the G1100 router because all of my set top boxes kept going in and out when using the G3100.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to RDP via ethernet connection but able to do wirelessly
gb19731
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the answer now thanks to help from dslr595148.

I went in and checked the firewall settings to allow Remote Desktop and it appears I had to check both boxes for "Private" and "Public" for it to work.

Although the only change I made was swapping out the old ActionTec Router to the G1100, it appears the G1100 needs both boxes checked for it to allow RDP.

Previously, I just had "Private" checked.

Does not make any sense but it works.

View solution in original post

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 If you are trying to allow users from the outside to connect (typically called port forwarding), make sure that the source port is set to Any.

#2 Since you do not appear to be doing that, that is an odd one.

Q1 While we get that you have FIOS Internet, do you also have FIOS TV?

Please note for this next question even if you have another one that is not use, you must say so. For example: Yes, but it is a spare.

Q2 Do you have a separate router?

Please note for this next question: One of the NICs must be a wired NIC and it should not be a portable type of computer (ex: a laptop).

Q3 Do you have spare computer that works that either has two NICs or you could add a second NIC?

gb19731
Enthusiast - Level 2

To answer your questions dslr595148:

I am not looking to allow any users outside of the network. I just don't have a monitor attached to this server that is in teh basement.

I have FIOS TV also and I have another router - its my spare that I still have after upgrading. The old one is the ActionTec.

The NIC on the Server is built into the motherboard.

I have another old web server that I plugged in that also has a NIC built into the mother board but I am still not able to RDP into that one either.

The server I have will not let me remote into it inside of the house but this server has Plex media software installed on it and people outside of the network can still see it as well as I can see it from within my home and watch it on my smart TV.

I am just able to remote into it or anything else I plug into the the router via ethernet.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ok, first things first you are not the only one that has or had this issue. With the power of Google (or another online search engine) looking up Unable to RDP via ethernet connection but able to do wirelessly

#1 REF

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/remote-desktop-connects-vis-wifi-not-via-ether...

As noted

Is your computer connected to a domain network ?

and that includes if the firewall is set correctly.

#2 REF https://www.sevenforums.com/network-sharing/411545-remote-desktop-connection-works-via-wifi-but-not-...

The IP address is one way to specifically identify a computer. The name is another. I'm not sure why one works and the other doesn't; my guess is that, for RDC, the IP address is a better way than the computer name.

gb19731
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the answer now thanks to help from dslr595148.

I went in and checked the firewall settings to allow Remote Desktop and it appears I had to check both boxes for "Private" and "Public" for it to work.

Although the only change I made was swapping out the old ActionTec Router to the G1100, it appears the G1100 needs both boxes checked for it to allow RDP.

Previously, I just had "Private" checked.

Does not make any sense but it works.