Unable to Receive/Send Email at the Moment
a0128958

I am unable to receive or send email at the moment.  I continue to get an Outlook generated error message "Task 'Incoming.verizon.net - Receiving' reported error (0x8004210A): 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the receiving (POP) server.  If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator Internet Service Provider (ISP).'"

This started late this morning.

Is there a way for me to determine if Verizon is having email problems currently?

And if there are no problems currently, does anyone have some advice as to what to do?

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

0 Likes
Re: Unable to Receive/Send Email at the Moment
kevinb
Contributor - Level 2

I don't see any reported POP3 or SMTP outages.

You may want to disable anything local to your computer that affects your connection or scans your e-mails .. e.g. firewalls, anti-virus etc.

Or you can test it from safe mode.

0 Likes
a0128958

Thanks you kindly.

Best regards,

Bill

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

what type of virus protection software do you have?

If you have norton you may want to try the following

Click Norton personal firewall click configure. On the networking tab
click Trusted add the Pop3 mail server

address and the SMTP server address,
Click OK

0 Likes
a0128958

This is very helpful.  Much appreciated.

I have Norton Internet Security, latest version.  I think I figured out how to translate the instructions above for Norton Personal to my NIS (Internet Settings, Smart Firewall Trust Control Configure, and on this resulting screen I would add the POP3 Mail Server and the SMTP Server addresses.

My only (remaining) problem is I don't know what the two server addresses are.  Where do I look this up, please.

Many kind thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

0 Likes
VZ_Christian
Contributor - Level 2

If you're referring to the incoming and outgoing email servers, they are as follows:

incoming.verizon.net

outgoing.verizon.net

If you have chosen Yahoo as a portal partner, the servers are:

incoming.yahoo.verizon.net

outgoing.yahoo.verizon.net

The following link might be helpful as well:

http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=vzc_help_contentDisplay&objId=22799

0 Likes
a0128958

Thank you.  I'm familiar with the incoming andgoing email server names.  But, I thought I needed IP addresses to put them into NIS.

I put each server name into NIS, and, NIS resolved the names to IP addresses!  So now these two servers are included as 'Trusted' and 'Protected,' in NIS terms.

We'll see if this helps.  My difficulty getting email in and out, as originally described, is intermittent.  Most of the time it works, but, particularly late in the afternoon and early evening I start encountering problems getting email in/out.

Many thanks!

Best regards,

Bill

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
How about http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827349

?
0 Likes