Unable to Stream Video on Windows Media Player RTSP Protocol
CHAFO
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, I recently paid for a subscription to a website that allows me to view live streams of various TV channels via the RTSP protocol. However, I am unable to get the streaming to work. It is not a computer issue since I have tested on all the computers around the house and even some virtual machines running different OS's. I have set the appropriate port forwarding rules for RTSP and have even tried setting my computer as a DMZ host. 

This is definitely not an issue on my end there are only two possibilities the most likely of which is that there is something wrong with the Actiontec MI424WR firmware. I came to this conclusion by looking at the firewall logs when trying to connect to the video streams:

Feb 14 21:35:51 2011 Inbound Traffic Blocked - Default policy TCP 87.120.223.3:554->192.168.1.5:3534 on eth1

This and similar lines appear even after setting port forwarding for 554, DMZ host, Firewall to minimum, ect...

I have contacted Actiontec and they were no help at all.

The next scenario is that Verizon is blocking this port for some reason and if that is the case this is absolutely unacceptable.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to resolve this issue and no resetting the router will NOT fix it.

Here are the details on my router:

Firmware Version: 20.10.7.5 Model Name: MI424WR-GEN2 Hardware Version: E

I will try on here first as I think I can find someone more knowledgeable than phone support but if I cannot resolve this issue I will be canceling my account as I really need this service.

Re: Unable to Stream Video on Windows Media Player RTSP Protocol
Hubrisnxs
Legend

What ports are blocked using Verizon FiOS?

Having said that, streaming RTSP can be tricky, and require multiple things to be done in your PC, and in your network router.

So as far as the actiontec is concerned, you should be creating appropriate port forwarding rules. 

You didn't mention what program your running, so I can just give you common ports that would need to be port forwarded and if you look in your manual or on the vendor website, you can see if what I am giving you matches up with what they are recommending.  

You'll need the following.  (also click on the link, it might have some common suggestions that would help you out)

TCP Port 80: Used for signalling and streaming RTSP/HTTP (if enabled on server)TCP Port 554: Used for RTSPUDP Ports 6970 - 9999: used for UDP streaming. Note a smaller range of UDP ports can usually be used (typically 6970-6999).TCP Port 7070: Optionally used for RTSP (this port is used by Real Server, and QuickTime/Darwin can also be configured to use this port)

It looks like you may need to do the UDP ports too.

also use these walk throughs if you run into a problem

• How to enable BASIC Port Forwarding on the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router
  • How to Configure Advanced Port Forwarding on the MI424WR Verizon FiOS Router \
  • You also have to allow access in both your windows firewalls and also the firewalls that you may have purchased.   This issue you are having is all configurations, it can be done, there are a lot of people who do it succesfully, but you have to configure it properly.  Verizon doesn't provide over the phone support for advanced configurations, but that doesn't mean that they won't work.  you just have to put a little elbow grease into it.  what is the program that you're trying to do. 

Hubrisnxs
    Legend

Feb 14 21:35:51 2011 Inbound Traffic Blocked - Default policy TCP 87.120.223.3:554->192.168.1.5:3534 on eth1

This and similar lines appear even after setting port forwarding for 554, DMZ host, Firewall to minimum, ect..

these are firewall settings that are blocking, so it sounds like ports are not properly being forwarded.  

there are a lot of really knowledgeable users here, they could probably help with that, and If I am on when you reply can probably help too. 

0 Likes
    CHAFO
    Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the following port forwarding rules set:

HTTP 
    TCP Any -> 80

RTSP 
    UDP Any -> 554
    UDP Any -> 7070
    TCP Any -> 554
    TCP Any -> 7070

Destination Ports 6970-9999 
    UDP Any -> 6970-9999

Still no luck...

The service I am trying to use is located at www.neterra.tv however it is not in english. It uses the Windows Media Player browser plugin to stream the videos which can be located here: http://port25.technet.com/pages/windows-media-player-firefox-plugin-download.aspx 

Basically no matter what forwarding rules I set I see the following errors in the router firewall log:

Feb 14 21:35:51 2011 Inbound Traffic Blocked - Default policy TCP 87.120.223.3:554->192.168.1.5:3534 on eth1
    Feb 15 12:09:41 2011 Outbound Traffic Blocked - Packet invalid in connection TCP 98.110.42.16:4331->87.120.223.3:554 on eth1
    87.120.223.3 is the neterra.tv stream server
    192.168.1.5 is the local ip of the computer I'm using, which I have port forwarding setup for and have tried setting it as a DMZ host with the same result
    98.110.42.16 is my WAN ip
    Let me know what other information you need

ALSO: I have tried inputting the stream URL directly into windows media player, and VLC with no luck there either...

CHAFO
    Enthusiast - Level 2

Seems this is a software issue, I was just able to get it working on one of my XP machines running windows media player 11

Hubrisnxs
    Legend

that might be a firewall issue then,   check your firewall program exceptions rules and see if you have the program added with full access.

SYSSJR
    Enthusiast - Level 3

Has anyone actually found a resolution to this problem... I have been having this for the past couple of months.  It is not a PC, or PC Firewall issue.  It is either an Actiontec, or Fios network issue.  I have 5 PC's in the house all with the same issue, with different versions of Windows.  This use to work, so i'm not sure what changed.  I tried a simple test with a laptop as well.  Could not connect using local wireless, but attached to my neighbors wireless and was able to make the connection.  While the stream was playing i was able to disconnect & re-connect to my local wireless.  The stream stopped briefly, but then re-connected and kept going.  Once I closed media player and restarted it, I was not able to re-establish the connection.  Also, of note, VLC seems to stream the site fine.

Would calling FIOS support Help on this ?  I've had the router replaced this past year for other issues, so i'm wondering if this could be the problem as well.  I know someone about a mile away with FIOS who doesnt have the problem.  Also, I even placed one of the machines in the DMZ, to hopefully avoid any port forwarding issues, but that did not help either.

Thanks,

sJr

0 Likes
    nabber00
    Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having the exact same problem as SYSSJR.  I have had FIOS for a year now and recently the connection has gone flaky.  Netflix and Hulu have timeouts.  Port forwarding often doesn't work when trying to connect from the outside.  I'm seeing connections drop everywhere on my LAN, both Linux and Windows.  I haven't changed the configuration recently, I even tried resetting to defaults and reloading a config from last year that I know worked.  It seems to have started in the past couple of months.  I've got the firewall on "Minimum Security (Low)" and a computer assigned the DMZ IP address but the security log is still showing dropped connections.  I believe the "Blocked - Default policy" messages are the problem.  What does this mean?  Can the Default policy be changed?  Is it possible Verizon changed this configuration on my router without me knowing?

nabber00
    Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to fix my problem by converting the router to bridge mode and using my own.  For me at least, its clearly a problem with the Actiontec firewall rules and I couldn't find a way to disable them.  I followed the instructions here:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,17679150

SYSSJR
    Enthusiast - Level 3

The interesting thing is that it is strictly related to Windows Media Player.  You can actually pick

up the stream by using VLC.