Unable to access Outlook Web Access server since last week
mike_h2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Since a power outage last week I have been unable to access my company's Outlook Web Access server from my home network.  My mobile devices are able to connect to the server from other networks but not when connected to mine.  I've reset the router (ActionTec MI424WR) to factory defaults to make sure it wasn't something in my configuration but this did not help.

From various tests (ping, tracert) it looks like it is resolving the address correctly, it just seems like it is unable to negotiate the connection. 

Does anyone have any suggestions I can try?  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unable to access Outlook Web Access server since last week
mike_h2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to fix my problem - I figured I would post here in case anyone ever runs into something similar.  I had to lower the MTU on my router's coax broadband interface from 1500 to 1485.  I'm not sure what changed that caused this to be necessary; the router was set on automatic so maybe it was lower before the power outage (I'm not sure how the auto MTU is determined).

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If the address where OWA is hosted allows pings, are you able to get a response back from the server?

0 Likes
mike_h2
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Smith6612 wrote:

If the address where OWA is hosted allows pings, are you able to get a response back from the server?

Thanks for your reply!  Unfortunately the site does not allow pings.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Understood. That's what I assumed here.

For this issue, if OWA is for e-mail access to a school or a company, have you spoken with the IT department responsible for the service? Come prepared to talk to them with your IP address so that they can check the route back to you from their end, and so they can check to see if a filter or firewall on their end happens to be affecting things.

Also, since OWA requires SSL, have you ensure that https:// is filled in before the OWA URL? Some places do not like to put up a redirect on the standard unsecured HTTP ports, and as a result the service will appear down when it is not.

0 Likes
mike_h2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, and thanks again for the response.  I haven't had any luck from the company IT side of things - as far as they can tell the problem is on my end.  I know the URL is correct - if I just turn off Wifi on my phone (to force it to use the LTE network) it will immediately connect to the server.  It is also able to connect without issues when connected to other Wifi networks.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Understood.

Have you made any changes to your router recently, such as enabling the firewall or enabling Parental Controls or other forms of filtering?

0 Likes
mike_h2
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, I haven't made any changes to the router configuration in over a year.  To test the settings I saved a config file and reverted the router to default settings - I still saw the same behavior.  I'm pretty stumped over it.

0 Likes
mike_h2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was able to fix my problem - I figured I would post here in case anyone ever runs into something similar.  I had to lower the MTU on my router's coax broadband interface from 1500 to 1485.  I'm not sure what changed that caused this to be necessary; the router was set on automatic so maybe it was lower before the power outage (I'm not sure how the auto MTU is determined).