Unable to access some web sites--connection timing out
jrmnewtonma
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was away from home last Friday to Monday.  When I returned home Monday evening I was not able to access two sites that I use daily (bank and electric utility).  Those two sites time out and return "Server not responding" messages in Safari and Firefox.

I have tried from two computers on my home network with different Mac OS and browser versions--same result.  All other sites in my bookmarks load fine.

I have restarted my network and routers and the computers.  I have cleared caches and cookies.  Speed tests show no problems.

Today I contacted both sites by phone and they assure me that their servers are up and running.

It appears that the FioS network may be causing a slowdown from those sites and they are timing out before they can load.

Is there a way to check this?

Re: Unable to access some web sites--connection timing out
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try performing a Traceroute to one of the affected websites. Post up the results you obtain.

Traceroutes can be performed on a Mac by opening the Terminal under any user and typing in the following command:

traceroute *insertaffectedsitehere*

On Windows, you would do this by opening Command Prompt and typing the following:

tracert *insertaffectedsitehere*

0 Likes