Re: Unable to consistently keep XBOX Live party with multiple consoles from same location.
JayTee2
Enthusiast - Level 3

I've resolved my problem, but my solution is NOT for everyone....

My Setup:
    •    VZ Service:  FiOS Internet only
    •    Actiontec router, configured as bridge:  Actiontec MI424WR-Gen2 Rev E
    •    Actiontec's Firmware:  20.19.8
    •    Router: D-Link DGL-4300
    •    WAN connection method:  Broadband Connection (Coax)
    •    Download/Upload speed:  15/5

I found instructions to configure my Actiontec as a bridge, so it simply receives the internet over COAX and passes it to my own router via Ethernet cable.  My router, which is on the list of compatible Xbox Live routers, then communicates with our Xboxes wirelessly.  We all have open NAT and we have been able to party-up and play online together for the last several days! Smiley Very Happy

I think this is evidence that Actiontec's 20.19.8 firmware does NOT fully support UPnP.  As additional evidence, running the Microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool, which among other things tests the router's support for UPnP, fails with the Actiontec configured as a router.  However, with the Actiontec configured as a bridge and my router on the network the same tests shows UPnP is supported.

URL to the Microsoft Internet Connectivity Evaluation Tool:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/using/tools/igd/default.mspx

The instructions I found to bridge the Actiontec worked for me and my setup.  It is supposed to support TV services (guide and VOD) if you have FiOS TV, but since I do not have the TV service I cannot verify it.  Also, the bridge configuration is NOT supported by Verizon, so do not expect any help from them, if you have issues.  I am very comfortable configuring my Actiontec, since I have configured and re-configured it multiple times trying to resolve the Xbox party/play issue.  So, if I messed up somewhere or if the bridging didn't work, I knew I could reset the router and re-configure for my WiFi, if I had to.

Bridging my Actiontec took all of about 15 minutes.  I had pre-configured my router to match my network security and WiFi settings before starting the bridging of the Actontec.  That way once the Actiontec was configured as a bridge all I needed to do was power it down, connect it to my router and power them both up.  

I would advise anyone thinking of bridging their Actiontec to do some research to see what problems they may encounter.  For examle, if you have FiOS TV, does it support a DVR?  I am not sure it does, though I did not look into it since I did not have one anyway.  Also, are there any performance issues?  I have not noticed any so far, but time will tell.

I could have run Ethernet from the ONT right to my router and taken the Actiontec out of the picture.  However, I need to drill through concrete in order to run the cable from the ONT, outside the house, to my router.  And, I do not have time for that now.  Configuring my old router and bridging the Actiontec took a total of 30 minutes.

For those that dare, below is the link to the bridging instructions for the Actiontec MI424WR Rev E, that I used.  As the title implies, the instructions are for the Rev E version of the router.  It is in the post that starts with "How I successfully bridged my Actiontec-GEN2 Rev E with VOD, widgets, guide.".  Since I do not have FiOS TV at the moment, I only completed through step 13.  
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r22339301-MI424WR-GEN2-Rev-E-Configuration-Thread~start=80

Again, if you are thinking of bridging your Actiontec MI424WR Rev E, do your homework.  If you have FiOS TV service look into what might not be supported by bridging.  If you do decide to bridge, make sure you know how to setup your own router to service your network (network security, WiFi, etc.) and configure it before bridging the Actiontec.  That way your network will be down for the shortest time possible.

Good luck to all. And many thanks to dlr and smith for their assistance in trying to resolve the Xbox party/play issue!

Re: Unable to consistently keep XBOX Live party with multiple consoles from same location.
JerseyPlayer
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am having this trouble also.  I may have to get rid of FiOS if this can't be fixed.  I have TV so  bridge is not an option.  My DSL with LINKSYS router suppoerted 3 Xboxes no problem.  Able to form groups no problems.

I may ask to have Ethernet port activated or maybe a second IP address ?

JerseyPlayer

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@JerseyPlayer wrote:

I am having this trouble also.  I may have to get rid of FiOS if this can't be fixed.  I have TV so  bridge is not an option.  My DSL with LINKSYS router suppoerted 3 Xboxes no problem.  Able to form groups no problems.

I may ask to have Ethernet port activated or maybe a second IP address ?

JerseyPlayer

Ask to get the Ethernet port on the ONT active. Hook up your Linksys as the Primary router directly to the ONT through ethernet. Set up the ActionTec as a MoCa Bridge/Switch and simply set it up behind the Linksys. That's really what your key option is for TV service.

0 Likes
leepxy
Enthusiast - Level 1

hey all,

Thought i would share my solution since I have a COD addiciton as well and found that with black ops 2, i could not play in the same game as my roommate...

i had this exact same problem and the easier workaround (that i've found) is to use a laptop as a router.

My setup is with my roomate, we were both using wired connections and couldnt be in the same game at the same time on live.  We could be in the same party and play online at the same time but not in the same game.  I used to do the "laptop as router" trick at school also to get around the firewall...

I did this..

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-share-your-laptops-internet-access-with-ano.navId-32305...

Basically you pick up the wireless connection with your laptop and output it to the xbox and voila!