Re: Unable to make connection to XBox Live
evirella1

Ok everyone Verizon and I have found the fix for the connection problem!!!

I was on the phone many many times with Verizon reps and microsoft reps and as you know they were blaming each other for the issue. Well I was just on the phone with Verizon and we went through the steps to rebooting the entire service TV, phone, internet. While doing so it is suppose to change the EXTERNAL IP address(not your internal IP which ur devices pc, console, etc pick up "ex. 192.168.1.xxx ). Well Verizon and I were able to change the external IP and that fixed the issue right away!!!

*Note before you call Verzion support go to www.ipchicken.com and write down the Current IP address it tells you in blue. Then call Verizon and explain the issue you have and that you read this fix in the forums and tell them they have to RELEASE and RENEW your EXTERNAL IP address to a new one. When they do so compare the new EXTERNAL IP(either through ipchicken.com again or just ask them what the new one is) with the one you wrote down from www.ipchicken.com  before to verify that it did indeed change. If not tell them to renew and release the external IP until it does change to a new one. If it did the issue should be solved!!!!!

I hope this solves the issue for everyone as it sure did with me!!!!

0 Likes
JohnInNJ609
I called VZ back, and they released my DHCP lease (again), but this time I got a new segment. All is working again. Thanks for all the help.
0 Likes
pinenoodle

I am having the same problem yesterday and today too. I am in New Jersey also.  Spent all day on the phone with microsoft who said it has to be an issue with FIOS. Help! 

0 Likes
andyjast

Working now for me as well, and I didnt have to deal with support.  As reported earlier, renewing your IP fixes the issue.  

Good luck to everyone! 

0 Likes
jaffo66
Enthusiast - Level 2

This issue can be fixed by the consumer.

Here is what I did for my model router MI424-WR.

1 Log into your router and go to My Network

2 On left hand side, click on Network Connections

3 Click the edit button for the Broadband Connection (COAX)

4 Scroll down to Settings

5 Scroll down to DHCP Lease: and click on Release

6 Wait about 15 minutes

7 Click on Renew, if you you get a new IP address the problem should be resolved.  If you get the same IP again, release and try again.

Good Luck!

jasonm2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks jaffo66!  That worked for me!

0 Likes
chimyfolkbutter
Enthusiast - Level 1

Oh yes!  That worked for me!  My son is happy!  Thanks jaffo66!

0 Likes
etniesmg16

I can only find a button to renew DHCP Lease but not to release it. I have a Mac so I don't know if there's a different way I need to go about it than Windows and other users?

0 Likes
avergiza
Enthusiast - Level 1

The IP address release/renew referred 2 here is to be done on your router not on your computer(s).

0 Likes
avergiza
Enthusiast - Level 1

Once I eventuually picked up an IP address in the 72.82 range rather than 71.188.xxx.xxx (which was recently not working for XBox Live) then it was working again. 

A new router will fix this probably 4 u also because you'll likely pick-up a different IP as well.

Though maybe a flush on the affected router(s) is advisable by whomever?

Thanks for the lead and info, Jaffo66!!!

0 Likes