Unable to resolve 1 web site address - points to FIOS DNS problem?
shannaFL

As of Feb 19 or Feb 20 I can no longer access a bookmarked web site from behind my Verizon router. Retype and still won't connect. Tracert shows it cannot be resolved. Site is http://www.sweepsadvantage.com/

Same issue on hardwired PC and wireless laptop - both are using different firewalls (Mcaffee on one, Trend on another) so that isn't the problem.

Site comes up fine on other networks using Verizon DSL and Verizon T1 at work.

Any help would be appreciated. This is a real annoyance!

Thanks. Sue

0 Likes
Re: Update - Definitely Verizon DNS issue Unable to resolve 1 web site address
shannaFL

I changed the DNS settings on my PC to go to preffered DNS servers of OpenDNS and I can get to the site so it is a problem with Verizon DNS servers.

Verizon, please fix your DNS servers!

0 Likes
Arun3

These are the DNS servers for my fios connection:

I am able to open the website without any issues. What's the DNS servers for your connection?

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@shannaFL wrote:

I changed the DNS settings on my PC to go to preffered DNS servers of OpenDNS and I can get to the site so it is a problem with Verizon DNS servers.

Verizon, please fix your DNS servers!

Why not stay with the Open DNS servers? I switched to them quite a while ago and I find them faster than the Verizon servers. Plus OpenDNS has some optional free tools available to help you manage your internet connections and make surfing the web safer. And, based on comments from some security sites, OpenDNS updates their servers much more promply than most other DNS providers, including Verizon.

At this point I see no reason for anyone to use the Verizon DNS servers. 

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
shannaFL

Thanks Arun. I don't know what mine were. I am not going back. I'm loving OpenDNS and the extra protection it offers.

Have a great day!

0 Likes
shannaFL

I am definitely staying! I'm loving the extra filtering and the fact that they are moving to stop bots from going back out. I have never had one on my system that I know of and sure don't want one.

I'm now using it for our DNS server at work. Beautiful!

The only thing that puzzles me...how and why do they do this for free?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Pierre
Speaking of OpenDNS, I want to use OpenDNS as my DNS server and thought I understood the instructions for my Westell 7500 DSL modem/wireless router.

I went to the Advanced page of the router's menu and opened the DNS server link.  I changed the Domain name at the top from westell.com to opendns.com and added two DNS entries both of which I named opendns.com  I gave one the IP: 208.67.222.222 and the other IP: 208.67.220.220  When I went to the OpenDNS webpage and tested; it showed that I was using the westell dns server, not OpenDNS.  My changes made no difference at all.

I am able to use OpenDNS by changing the configuration of the properties of each PC in my local network by manually editing the TCP/IP DNS setting from automatic to the IP addresses for OpenDNS, but isn't it supposed to be able to be done from the 7500?  Also, by having the modem/router configured for westell's DNS server and my PC's configured for OpenDNS, am I slowing web browsing?  (I don't notice any appreciable speed difference however.)
0 Likes