Re: Unable to update any Apple Software on Home Network
bryan42514

Today there was an iTunes update available and trying to update it from iTunes locks up the program.  No issue with downloading iTunes from Apple.com, only the update.  Still no joy on the Apple TV either.  At the end of my FiOS/Apple rope. 

0 Likes
howmanyds

Any update on this issue?  I can't get my brand new iPhone to get out of recovery mode because of iTunes error 9, related to security settings.

0 Likes
idiotbee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Bryan, I was wondering if you had any success fixing the updating problems with Apple software?  I ask becasue I got FiOS on July 29, 2014 and have not been able to download the latest update to iTunes (11.4) or iOS 8.0. None of the fixes I have found online have worked one iota. I'm getting terribly frustrated.  

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

this is likely a similar fix to the new IOS update, and changing DNS servers has been real successful for a lot of users (not all)

You should try either of the following servers

Google DNS 

Open DNS

Level 3

Put the DNS server's IP directly into your settings on each device to make sure it's working.

On OS X: System Preferences > Network > Select Ethernet or WiFi > Press Advanced > Go to DNS and add the google DNS server there.

On iOS: Settings > WiFi > tap on the "i" icon next to your current network > Tap in the DNS box and change the address.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

This one also might be related to Apple's Bonjour service, and an issue with IGMP

Multi Cast - this was an issue a while ago, and Verizon stuck to their guns that apple needs to update to reflect the RFC's from what I Remember.  That fix is as follow

IGMP proxy Hidden Menu

http://192.168.1.1/index.cgi?active_page=6059

access that page from your fios location and log in, and then disable igmp proxy..  

0 Likes
idiotbee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for the advice Hubrisnxs.  Unfortunately niether of your suggestions worked at all.  But I appreciate your efforts.  I'm flabbergasted that Apple and Verizon don't play well together.  Had I known that, I would've stayed with Time Warner.  I'm contemplating breaking my contract with Verizon and going back to TW.  At least my Apple world worked perfectly when Iwas with them.  

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Changing DNS servers didn't work for me either.  I did find two ways of getting the update(s) downloaded and both involved using another network.  You can see those solutions discussed in this similar thread:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/All-Apple-updates-time-out-But-through-a-VPN-it-s-fine/td...

To briefly recap, I updated my wife's iPhone by using my iPhone, connected to at&t LTE service, and configured as as a personal hotspot.

I updated my wife's iPad by using a public/guest wifi service near us, that service being connected to our area cable provider rather than FiOS.

(I had already updated my iPhone to iOS 8 last week when I was in the Denver area using Comcast service.)

Frustrated115

I had the same issue with iTunes (11.4). I eventually uninstalled iTunes, then went to apple site and downloaded the new version and installed it. Solved the problem and when I signed in all of my music, etc. was in my account.

Still unable to update iPad to 8. Guess I will have to try another provider other that FIOS.

0 Likes
BIgbmn

Seems to me, definitely a FIOS issue.

I've been attempting to update for the last 5 days, unsuccesfully via OTA or a PC.

Rebooted my Router.

Brought My ipad to work, it updated no muss no fuss, OTA

0 Likes
Chris-FH

Let's get real about this- it's not about routers or software, this about Verizon throttling the download. I just tried to update to iOS 8 on a straight FioS connection where I'm getting my solid 50Mbps down- it would have taken me 40+ hours to complete the download. Turned on my company's VPN from the same computer (which hides the server from Verizon) and boom- 10 minutes. Care to jump in on this one Verizon?

0 Likes