Re: Unable to update any Apple Software on Home Network
BIgbmn

Heres a kick in the behind....

Trying to download IOS 8 this morning, and it is downloading.  

SLOW, but downloading.  Stil waiting for a call back from Tech Support Management to tell them how really unacceptable this is.  I 'think' its a FIOS issues, but if not.  They should be able to explain on some level, what the issue is

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I've talked with tech support supervisors before.

They are really good at scheduling vacation and doing coaching sessions, but I haven't met many that were technical at a level to explain that. I'd be interested to hear what they might have to say though or if there is any official response

Hubrisnxs
Legend

Thought this was neat. 

I am wondering how accurate this article is,  They say that it avoids the slow download by downloading direct from apple. 

I would imagine this would just be a file storage, that they have set up for direct download links, instead of using their CDN? but I am not sure.

Anyone want to give it a shot and report back to homebase?
http://www.gottabemobile.com/2014/09/17/how-to-update-to-ios-8-without-deleting-your-files/

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I already have the iOS 8 update on our devices so I can't test the theory in that link again, but when I was having the problem downloading iOS 8 I did try doing it through iTunes, and a hardwired connection, with no improvement.

Also, as I had reported in another thread or two, my wife's MacBook had a couple of OS X updates waiting for it and those took several hours to download, just ~138 MB or so, also via a hardwired connection.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Yeah, for yours it would have been a nice experiment to have done the null routing, which would have taken you off of Apple's CDN's and redirected you to Akamai for the update.  I havent' seen one person that had a bad result with that one.   More complicated to do, but had great results on reddit.  Or the NEW level 3 dns which started with a 206.x.x.x. address.

I was also reading a lot of people nationwide were having problems, and also even over in the UK.    Smith from the forums here, did one at his data center, which doesn't have any Verizon footprint at all, and he had the same issues there.    

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Well...it looks like there will be an iOS 8.0.2 update within a day or so.  We'll see how that goes.

However, while all this is interesting to a technophobe, I have to agree with many here who have said that as subscribers to FiOS service, we shouldn't have to be worrying about how to get a file to download.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
idiotbee
Enthusiast - Level 2
To update my earlier post, I finally gave up and just updated my iPhone and my iPad Air on other non-FIOS networks with no problems at all. I never was able to get the iTunes update for my desktop, but on the advice of a Verizon tech support person (who happened to live in my area and admitted that he had problems very similar to mine), I just uninstalled iTunes and downloaded a whole new version directly off the Apple website. Works fine now. But (if you like curve balls) I also have a second iPad (3rd Gen) on which I could not get the iOS 8.0 update to download all last weekend. I tried it at random on Tuesday night at 12:30 a.m. on my usual FIOS network and it downloaded and installed in 20 minutes. So now I'm wondering if Verizon had anything to do with these problems in the first place.
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Oh I was over at dslreports, their users are saying that the issue seems resolved. at least for now.  So if you haven't tried in the last half day or so, I would try now while the going is good.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Just installed iOS 8.0.2 via my FiOS wifi connection.  The update was ~80 mB and took about 15 seconds to download, so yes, the problem seems resolved, at least for now.

0 Likes
thehandyrandy
Enthusiast - Level 1

SOLVED 

I know this an old thread, but I was having the same issue. I believed to have solved it by changing the WIFI settings on your apple device. 

You will have to go into your WIFI settings and change the DNS server from automatic to manual. Then remove the Verizon DNS (192.168.0.1) and then add in Google server (8.8.8.8). Once I did this my iphone was able to update the iOS version to 17.0.3

I assume this same practice will work on Apple 4k TV, iWatch, etc. You will need to do this across your devices. 

I chatted with a Verizon representative about my fix, hopefully they will post this in a FAQ or something since it is super frustrating to have to switch to cellular for updates and makes the experience just that much worse. 

Tags (1)
0 Likes