Unable to update any Apple Software on Home Network
bryan42514

I am unable to update any Apple software on my network.  I cannot update iTunes on my PC (Wired connection), Apple TV (WiFi), iOS on iPhone or iPad (WiFi) and cannot update iOS via iTunes with iPad and iPhone connected.  I have zero other issues with streaming, downloading music from the iTunes store, etc. and I was able to download a complete copy of iTunes to my PC that would not update.  The sole issue is updating Apple software.  I have never had this problem before with several years having FiOS.  I have not yet changed port forwarding rules but think this is my next step.  Any help is appreciated.  I spoke with both Apple and Verizon tech support who said that the issue was with the other.  Thank you.  

0 Likes
Re: Unable to update any Apple Software on Home Network
Hubrisnxs
Legend

There was a problem a while back when apple did an update to bonjour and I am pretty sure they never fixed it.  Do you have the newer fios tv boxes or the traditional ones.   the reason I ask is because there's a secret menu item in the router, that you can enable/disable that "might" fix it, but if you have the newer fios quantum tv then you might have some unintended side effects.

0 Likes
bryan42514

We have the older FiOS boxes, not Quantum, and the advanced Actiontec router. 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

What network security software, if any, are you using?

0 Likes
bryan42514

I have Norton 360 on my Windows PC that is connected to the FiOS router via ethernet cable.  One of the steps that either Apple or Verizon walked me through was deactivating Norton but this didn't fix the issue. 

0 Likes
bryan42514

I found online that disabling IGMP on the router may solve the problem but after doing this last night and re-starting the Apple TV it still gets hung up on running the update.  It detects that there is an update, asks me if I want to update it, and when I start the update I get the progress bar but there's no progress.  After about 10 minutes it stops trying to update and tells me that it is unavailable, try again later.  I won't know if changing IGMP fixed iOS and ITunes updates until Apple has the next update but my guess is that this is all the same problem - only updates. 

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

IGMP was the only thing ever that I can remember that was VZ related, that had an affect on apple products, and sometimes it's software related and not network related.   Doesn't look like there are a lot of mac users with the same issue as you, so maybe there's a software that did it's own update on your machine,

Perform the troubleshooting steps from these links and then try to update iTunes.

iTunes: Specific update-and-restore error messages and advanced troubleshooting

Resolving update and restore alert messages

iTunes: Troubleshooting security software issues

If this step doesn’t fix the issue then Apple support would be the right place to assist regarding this issue. So I would suggest you to check with Apple support for more information.

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/install/

I know it's not itunes specific, but these things might point you to the root cause, or you might kill a few birds with one stone.

0 Likes
pamcphilly
Enthusiast - Level 3

I ran into this just recently with my appleTV for the first time and tried to determine what I had changed.  The only thing I had done recently was set the FIOS router back to use Verizon's DNS servers.  When I switched the router back to use OpenDNS, the appleTV was able to update without any problems.

bryan42514

Thanks for the idea.  I changed the DNS to OpenDNS and the same problem.  I choose UPDATE NOW, the little circle starts spinning, and 10 min later I get the message that it can't download the update at this time.  If nothing else, I learned a little about DNS servers today. 

0 Likes
bryan42514

Thank you for the recommendations.  So far nothing seems to be fixing the issue and I think that I'm going to have to give Apple another call and probably Verizon, too.  It's frustrating, but in a couple of months when it's time to get a new tablet the decision will be whether to part ways with Apple or with FiOS.  Until now, I've never had issues with either. 

0 Likes