Unable to use wireless FIOS on Macintosh
MacUser
I am unable to get onto the FIOS wireless network using my Macbook, although, I can access the web using an ethernet cable. I get a "connection failed" after entering my WEP key. My PC laptop works fine using same key. Any advice. 
0 Likes
Re: Unable to use wireless FIOS on Macintosh
Justin46
Legend

I have no experience with any Apple products, but if it were me the first thing I would try is to temporarily turn off all encryption on the router, and see if I could get connected that way. At least that would eliminate encryption as part of the problem, and might make it easier to debug. Assuming that is successful, I would then go back and turn on encryption; and by the way, I recommend you use WPA, not WEP, WPA is quite a bit more secure than WEP.

Good luck.

Keller, TX

0 Likes
MickeyS
Enthusiast - Level 1
Make sure that your Airport wireless card is turned on, go to the airport icon on your menu bar, select your wireless network and type in your password. If you don't see your network, go to the router and make sure that broadcasting SSID is on by going into the advanced settings on your wireless settings and clicking on SSID and make sure is on.
0 Likes
HippyFish
Enthusiast - Level 1

This was a known issue with Leopard 10.5.5. The 10.5.6 update that came out Monday night is supposed to have a fix for this (and for issues when browsing large wi-fi networks). 

However, we have 2 Macs and haven't had any issues with the wireless connection, other than intermittent drops. I'm hoping the update helps that.

More info on it here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3194 

0 Likes
MacUser
Thanks for your suggestion. I would try that, but unfortunately Extensis just warned not to upgrade to 10.5.6 due to a conflict with one of their products that I have! My wireless worked fine until we "upgraded" to the FIOS network. My work IT dept says that my Mac is not finding the IP address.
0 Likes