Underground Wire Break Bill For $210.64 Sent To Claims Agency for Collection - Surprise!
FiosForumUser
Enthusiast - Level 1

When my FIOS fiber was installed Verizon's third-party installer took a route along the edge of the bed, obviously, the worst possible place.  To make matters worse the FiOS line was only buried about 2-3" below grade in my yard.  Reorganizing beds around the house I cut the line.  I called Verizon, explained the situation above, they scheduled repair and subsequent line burial.  A few weeks later completely unexpected I get a bill for $210.64 from "Verizon" via "CMR" (Claims Management Resources).  According to CMR the first Verizon tech made the determination that I should be charged.  I was never told I was responsible.  I was never given a work order.  I never signed anything or stated that I was responsible.  In fact to the contrary, the tech acknowledged the line was shallow and stated the line doesn't have a tracer wire so it can't be marked in advance.  I even helped the three techs during two different visits install the line.  The second time they didn't even bother letting me know they were coming!!  Bill had no details other than "DROP WIRE".  As others have noted  National Electrical Code (NEC) 830.47 Underground Circuits Entering Buildings states 12" to 18" below grade burial depth for "network-powered broadband communications cables entering buildings.

I called the number on the bill which is CMR.  It quickly became apparent that their job is to maximize collections by extorting Verizon customers.  At one point the representative told me the drop was Frontier property so clearly, they do this for other companies.

How do I formally dispute the unauthorized billing for work?  I don't have any relationship with CMR and don't want to recognize them by responding to them.

Re: Underground Wire Break Bill For $210.64 Sent To Claims Agency for Collection - Surprise!
LawrenceC
Moderator Emeritus

Hi FiosForumUser,

Claims Management Resources (CMR) is a Verizon authorized vendor that provides invoicing services to recover Verizon’s cost to repair damage done to the Company’s facilities. This includes but is not limited to:
• Buried and Aerial lines
• Poles
• Conduit and vehicles
CMR can handle disputes of claims directly, and works with the local field office that performed the repair. If you wish to dispute a CMR claim, you may contact them by phone at 1-800-321-4158 or by email at bswcomplaint@cmrclaims.com.

0 Likes
Re: Underground Wire Break Bill For $210.64 Sent To Claims Agency for Collection - Surprise!
Rockville829
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have the same issue.  

@LawrenceC,  is there a section of the Customer Agreement this type of bill falls under?  In order to dispute a bill, it would be nice to know why we are billed in the first place and who's responsibility the original damage falls under.

@LawrenceC wrote:

Hi FiosForumUser,

Claims Management Resources (CMR) is a Verizon authorized vendor that provides invoicing services to recover Verizon’s cost to repair damage done to the Company’s facilities. This includes but is not limited to:
• Buried and Aerial lines
• Poles
• Conduit and vehicles
CMR can handle disputes of claims directly, and works with the local field office that performed the repair. If you wish to dispute a CMR claim, you may contact them by phone at 1-800-321-4158 or by email at bswcomplaint@cmrclaims.com.

0 Likes