Unfairly charged a tech visit fee...
Jmos10

Hey everyone–

I’m creating this post to gather fellow Verizon customers together that have been unfairly charged a “technician visit” fee. 

From early September, I have been dealing with a problem where my FIOS Internet service will completely stop working for about 20 minutes a time, 10+ times a day.  I work from home, and the problem would routinely cause me to lose connection to important conference calls and systems...all critical to my job. I spent countless hours on the phone and installed 2 different replacement routers, to no avail. Finally, the last time I called in, the support rep said that clearly this is not something that can be fixed without a tech coming out to my home. The tech came to my home, was completely rude...insulting my dog that wasn’t bothering him (saying things like he is a filthy animal, etc.), was not prepared in the slightest...I had to let him borrow a screwdriver and a stepladder...I had to explain to him what the wireless AC standard even meant...nonetheless, he offered no solution to fix the problem other than to run a wire on the outside of my home, drill through the brick, and relocate the ONT...and he then said that he was only about 30% certain that the proposed solution would fix the problem. I reluctantly agreed, and I asked him how long it would take to get everything done. His reply: "Oh...I don't have the equipment on my truck...I'd have to come back in about a week and do it...I'll have someone call you." After that he left. Next thing I know, I receive my monthly bill and there's a $50 charge for a "technician visit." I have several problems with this: 1. Not once did the rep say that there is a charge, and not once did I get a notification saying that there would be such a charge for the service. 2. If a problem is caused by an error of Verizon's, it is THEIR duty to repair, replace, or otherwise remedy the issue at THEIR expense...that's just how it works. I mean, it's not like I was digging outside and chopped through the data line and I'm expecting them to cover the cost, etc. 3. The problem wasn't even solved...and, you guessed it...I never received a call to set up a new appointment to continue the repair. 

So today I call up the billing department and inquire as to why I was charged this fee. They say it's a valid charge and that I was notified of the charge. I indicate that I most certainly was not. The rep says that she will "meet me halfway" and give me a credit of $25. I say I appreciate that, but that will not be enough to solve my issue...it's the principle of the matter at this point. She escalates the call to her supervisor. Her supervisor reviews and says that I was offered the $25 and that is all that can be done because it's a valid charge. I indicate once again that I was NEVER advised of the charge, and that the charge was a sleazy act of Verizon, at best. She says that I was advised on the phone of the charge, AND that I signed something before the technician left my house that indicated the charge. I most certainly did not sign anything, and I was not, as I said before, told about the charge on the phone. So, giving the benefit of the doubt, I ask for her to provide me with a copy of the signed document (e-signed or otherwise) that she claims I signed. She says that she can't provide that. I ask for her to then review the phone call so that she can clearly hear that I was not advised about this charge by the rep that set up the repair appointment. She says they don't keep those calls. I ask to then escalate it to her supervisor...she says, "there's no one higher than me, and that's all we can do...do you have anything else that I can address outside of this?" I again ask to speak to her supervisor. She says there is nothing more that can be done and that I have no other options. I then ask for the number of the legal team so that I may call or write in with a complaint. She actively refuses to provide it and then hangs up on me. Mind you, I was extremely polite and professional the entire duration of my call. 

After search through this forum, in addition to many other sites, I have found a repeated pattern of similar situations occurring. This is unacceptable. An ISP absolutely cannot require a customer to pay for services related to repairing equipment necessary to receive the services that the subscriber is paying for. It's unacceptable, at best. 

Hopefully I'll hear back from Verizon prior to moving forward. 

NO other ISP out there that charges a fee for a technician to visit when the problem is that of the ISP, and not the fault of the customer. 

Can I get anyone to second me here? What are your stories with this "technician visit" fee? 

–Jackson

0 Likes
Re: Unfairly charged a tech visit fee...
kh-gary
Moderator Emeritus

Hi Jmos10,

Your issue has been escalated to a Verizon agent. Before the agent can begin assisting you, they will need to collect further information from you. Please go to your profile page for the forum and scroll down the page to an area titled "My Support Cases." You can reach your profile page by clicking on your name located above your post, or at the top right of this page.

Under "My Support Cases" you will find a link to the private board where you and the agent may exchange information. The title of your post is the link. This should be checked on a frequent basis, as the agent may be waiting for information from you before they can proceed with any actions. To ensure you know when they have responded to you, you may subscribe to the case. At the top right of your support case there is a gear icon which provides a drop down menu with support case options. Click that and choose "subscribe." Please keep all correspondence regarding your issue in the private support portal.

0 Likes