Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Unknown WiFi device - IEEE Registration Authority

SOLVED
digimon
Contributor
Contributor

Unknown WiFi device - IEEE Registration Authority

Message 1 of 4
(13,897 Views)
My Quantum Gateway shows a WiFi host that I am not familiar with. I can see its IP address and MAC address, and connectivity test runs fine. I used a third party WiFi Analyzer to get more information on this device, and it shows IEEE Registration Authority as manufacturer. Any ideas what this device is? Thanks!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III Platinum Contributor III
Platinum Contributor III

Re: Unknown WiFi device - IEEE Registration Authority

Message 4 of 4
(5,553 Views)

While I mostly agree with your other helpers, here is my two cents.

About MAC/Physical/Hardware Addresses:

#1 They are always sent in the clear, regardless of encryption (think SSL or even WPA2).

#2 It is possible to spoof/clone them.

For a Linksys BEFSR41W, after logging into the NAT router you would click on Advanced and then click on MAC Address Clone

See the UI at https://ui.linksys.com/BEFSR41W/wanMac.htm

While I have no comments as how to spoof/clone the MAC Address on a normal computer (not a NAT router): So keeping in mind it is possible to spoof/clone them I have an idea.

#1 Change the password for the Wi-Fi link.

#2 Add one computer at a time that is/are authorized to use the Wi-Fi link. Ex If I had an iPhone, I would update the iPhone to what the new password is.

#3 As you add one computer at time (update what the password is), you should be able to figure it out.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
CRobGauth
Platinum Contributor III

Message 2 of 4
(13,848 Views)

Try googling the MAC address.
It will tell you the device manfacturer.

If a forum member gives an answer you like, give them the Kudos they deserve. If a member gives you the answer to your question, mark the answer as Accepted Solution so others can see the solution to the problem.
CrowTRobot
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 4
(5,601 Views)

Answering for anyone that finds this post when asking google the same question.

IEEE REGISTRATION AUTHORITY is the official organization that issues the MAC addresses.

Companies sometimes buy a subset of a MAC address block, they share the same first 6 character of the MAC address with other purchasers. Therefore, when you look up the MAC address by the first 6 character, it shows “IEEE REGISTRATION AUTHORITY”.

Think of it as an apartment building. They bought one apartment in the building. If you look up the building address (without apartment number) , you get the building name. You have to look up the secondary information ( apartment number ) to see them.

Probably a security camera or something. 

dslr595148
Platinum Contributor III

Message 4 of 4
(5,554 Views)

While I mostly agree with your other helpers, here is my two cents.

About MAC/Physical/Hardware Addresses:

#1 They are always sent in the clear, regardless of encryption (think SSL or even WPA2).

#2 It is possible to spoof/clone them.

For a Linksys BEFSR41W, after logging into the NAT router you would click on Advanced and then click on MAC Address Clone

See the UI at https://ui.linksys.com/BEFSR41W/wanMac.htm

While I have no comments as how to spoof/clone the MAC Address on a normal computer (not a NAT router): So keeping in mind it is possible to spoof/clone them I have an idea.

#1 Change the password for the Wi-Fi link.

#2 Add one computer at a time that is/are authorized to use the Wi-Fi link. Ex If I had an iPhone, I would update the iPhone to what the new password is.

#3 As you add one computer at time (update what the password is), you should be able to figure it out.

If you are the original poster (OP) and your issue is solved, please remember to click the "Solution?" button so that others can more easily find it. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the "Kudos" button.

View solution in original post

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title