Unknown WiFi device - IEEE Registration Authority
maestro2
Contributor - Level 1
My Quantum Gateway shows a WiFi host that I am not familiar with. I can see its IP address and MAC address, and connectivity test runs fine. I used a third party WiFi Analyzer to get more information on this device, and it shows IEEE Registration Authority as manufacturer. Any ideas what this device is? Thanks!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unknown WiFi device - IEEE Registration Authority
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I mostly agree with your other helpers, here is my two cents.

About MAC/Physical/Hardware Addresses:

#1 They are always sent in the clear, regardless of encryption (think SSL or even WPA2).

#2 It is possible to spoof/clone them.

For a Linksys BEFSR41W, after logging into the NAT router you would click on Advanced and then click on MAC Address Clone

See the UI at https://ui.linksys.com/BEFSR41W/wanMac.htm

While I have no comments as how to spoof/clone the MAC Address on a normal computer (not a NAT router): So keeping in mind it is possible to spoof/clone them I have an idea.

#1 Change the password for the Wi-Fi link.

#2 Add one computer at a time that is/are authorized to use the Wi-Fi link. Ex If I had an iPhone, I would update the iPhone to what the new password is.

#3 As you add one computer at time (update what the password is), you should be able to figure it out.

View solution in original post

CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try googling the MAC address.
It will tell you the device manfacturer.

CrowTRobot
Enthusiast - Level 1

Answering for anyone that finds this post when asking google the same question.

IEEE REGISTRATION AUTHORITY is the official organization that issues the MAC addresses.

Companies sometimes buy a subset of a MAC address block, they share the same first 6 character of the MAC address with other purchasers. Therefore, when you look up the MAC address by the first 6 character, it shows “IEEE REGISTRATION AUTHORITY”.

Think of it as an apartment building. They bought one apartment in the building. If you look up the building address (without apartment number) , you get the building name. You have to look up the secondary information ( apartment number ) to see them.

Probably a security camera or something. 

dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

While I mostly agree with your other helpers, here is my two cents.

About MAC/Physical/Hardware Addresses:

#1 They are always sent in the clear, regardless of encryption (think SSL or even WPA2).

#2 It is possible to spoof/clone them.

For a Linksys BEFSR41W, after logging into the NAT router you would click on Advanced and then click on MAC Address Clone

See the UI at https://ui.linksys.com/BEFSR41W/wanMac.htm

While I have no comments as how to spoof/clone the MAC Address on a normal computer (not a NAT router): So keeping in mind it is possible to spoof/clone them I have an idea.

#1 Change the password for the Wi-Fi link.

#2 Add one computer at a time that is/are authorized to use the Wi-Fi link. Ex If I had an iPhone, I would update the iPhone to what the new password is.

#3 As you add one computer at time (update what the password is), you should be able to figure it out.