Unstable fios connection (internet only, no router)
Jim_3
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm on the verge of switching to another internet provider (that's more expensive AND slower) if I can't get this situation figured out.  Suggestions from anyone who has solved a similar case would be greatly appreciated!

I had a recent install of FiOS (internet only) in Jersey City NJ, and I wanted to plug my windows 10 PC (built about a year and a half ago) directly into the ONT.  This PC was connecting fine on a broadband connection through a different isp just a couple of weeks before my FiOS install, and I made no hardware/software changes in those weeks. I'm in a large apartment building, and the Verizon technician had to drill a hole in a wall and run new fiber, to a new ONT he brought with him.  I did not rent/buy any router from Verizon.

I have an internet connection, but it's extremely unstable.  I am unable to load even basic text based sites about half the time, file downloads often fail part way through or are far slower than they should be, and online games are usually unplayable.  For short periods of time, my connection seems excellent and everything is great.  I haven't identified a pattern for when the connection is good/bad. It doesn't seem to be linked to CPU/GPU/RAM usage, system temperature, or time of day.

Internet speed tests either fail to complete (Verizon's always seems to fail), show download/upload speeds that meet or exceed what I pay for, or occasionally show much lower speeds than expected.

I called Verizon support, waited for 2 hours, and then had the phone answered by someone using a really condescending tone and attitude (before I had spoken a single word).  I scheduled a service appointment, and two guys came over to switch out the ONT for a new one.  One of them suggested it could be a problem with the Ethernet cable, so that was swapped out too.  They were able to load a webpage, so they said it looked to be fixed.  One of the guys cryptically suggested that the problems could be on Verizon's side, but didn't provide further details.

In both the initial install and the service appointment, the line was tested and declared to be working fine.  The ONT itself has not displayed any red lights, and it's placed in the open where overheating should be unlikely.

When troubleshooting, I  tried connecting a wireless router rated to handle the speeds I pay for (Netgear Nighthawk AC1900 R7000), but the connection problems seemed to be the same on both a phone and a laptop over WiFi.

Again, if anyone can tell me the right move here, I would really appreciate it.  Thanks!

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Unstable fios connection (internet only, no router)
Jim_3
Enthusiast - Level 2

For anyone finding this in the future, don't give up!  The problem really was on Verizon's side, and I was finally able to convince them to fix it.

I called the Verizon Fios support line (800-837-4966) once again, and got lucky with a far more helpful person who agreed to send someone out after running the usual unhelpful remote tests he was required to run.

I ended up with a different (excellent) technician who spent something like 4 or 5 hours troubleshooting in person.  He eventually contacted a higher level support person, and temporarily left me with a Verizon router that he claimed would be used to remotely analyze my connection.  I was told I wouldn’t be charged for it, but I was.  After contacting the technician who very nicely left me a phone number, the router was picked up and my account was credited with the right amount about 2 months later.

The solution (in the technician’s words) was “changing the pon card in the central office”.  My connection is now very consistent and I’m extremely pleased!

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What ONT did you end up with? Are your neighbors seeing any problems? Inconsistent performance like this could be a problem with the PON. Typically, if an ONT goes rogue, if the Fiber is dirty, or there's a problem with the port at the Central office, you'll get issues like this. Usually congestion from say, a Gigabit customer hitting their upload super hard doesn't manifest in this way.

On that note, what speed do you pay for?

Jim_3
Enthusiast - Level 2

The ONT in this picture looks like the one I have, except mine has the longer box mounted onto the other.

Right now I am paying for 200 upload/download, and online speed tests have shown anything from .03 mbps to about 330 (generally between 190 and 300 though).

I haven't been in contact with the neighbors, so I am not sure if they are on Verizon or not.  If I see them around I will see what they say.

0 Likes
Jim_3
Enthusiast - Level 2

For anyone finding this in the future, don't give up!  The problem really was on Verizon's side, and I was finally able to convince them to fix it.

I called the Verizon Fios support line (800-837-4966) once again, and got lucky with a far more helpful person who agreed to send someone out after running the usual unhelpful remote tests he was required to run.

I ended up with a different (excellent) technician who spent something like 4 or 5 hours troubleshooting in person.  He eventually contacted a higher level support person, and temporarily left me with a Verizon router that he claimed would be used to remotely analyze my connection.  I was told I wouldn’t be charged for it, but I was.  After contacting the technician who very nicely left me a phone number, the router was picked up and my account was credited with the right amount about 2 months later.

The solution (in the technician’s words) was “changing the pon card in the central office”.  My connection is now very consistent and I’m extremely pleased!