Unusable Speeds and excessive latency starting around 4PM
nkoconno

I live and work in NYC. My house is approximately 0.8 miles from my office. During the day, I get about 4-6ms response times to my office and I can completely saturate both the upload and donwload on my 75/35 connection.  I am a nework architect and we have about 25 users who live and work in NYC on FiOS and have the same issues as I do.  The latency and throughput are completely UNUSABLE between about 4pm and 3am.  We have an enterprise monitoring system that shows daily increases in latency for all of our users' home VPNs who use FiOS.  Optimum, comcast, aren't affected, TimeWarner is impacted but not nearly as much as FiOS users. 

Our office has 3 ISPs and all of them experience the same latency issues around the same time, so I know that the issue isn't with any of our 4 ISPs.  We have TimeWarner (10Mbps), Zayo (1 Gbps), and Level 3 (50Mbps).  Occasionally I've noticed that the traceroute sometimes routes me through Austin which adds significant latency given that the source and destination are within 1 mile of eachother.

Starting around 4PM every day my latency goes up from 4-6ms to 50-70ms and drops about 1-2 out of every 10-20 pings.  My VPN tunnel to the office drops and renegotiates constantly.  when the latency increases the throughput is also unusable.  instead of being able to download at 75Mbps... I get about 500Kbps... I got Verizon so I can avoid TimeWarner-like speeds and reliability. 

This is unacceptable.  

Please advise why your network is inadequately sized to support your customers needs. 

0 Likes
Re: Unusable Speeds and excessive latency starting around 4PM
msamper

Hello

This seems a problem at least in NYC. It started happening to me a few days ago, from blazing fast youtube to not even be able to load the speedtest.net website. I have a 50/25 connection and this is what I get right now:

Other people in the forum is reporting the same problem, I hope they will notice (if they haven't already) and fix it!!!!!!!

0 Likes
TomH121
Community Leader
Community Leader

Just Read your Post

Here's my Updated Log.

0 Likes
nkoconno

Thanks guys.  I was hoping that Verizon would actually respond to this.. as others in this form have stated they see issues with Netflix.... which is frustrating as well. 

This is a fairly big issue: 

http://www.samachar.com/Netflix-Rather-Quietly-Admits-Verizon-Isnt-Throttling-Netflix-Streams-ocnwNz...

I'm just disapointed that Verizon can't figure this one out.  What's 75x35 if I get TimeWarner speeds and latencies?

0 Likes
gamer99
Contributor - Level 1

that might be a OUTAGE. have u checked with Verizon Tech support via chat or phone?

Also,  If I were you, I would not publish your EXTERNAL IP.

take care and good luck.

0 Likes