Unusable upload speed at night and during weekend?
Monmonoke
Enthusiast - Level 2
We've had fios for a couple of years. The speed seems to be fine most of the time but for the last couple of weeks it's almost unusable. Download speed test is ok but upload speed is less than 1m and sometimes just times out during the test. The speed seems to slow down mostly in the evening and during the weekend. Can't upload pictures. Even just browsing webpages gets very slow since page requests goes through upload - took a couple of minutes to open some pages.

VZ sent a new router but didn't fix the issue. Tech replaced the ONT box today but we still got the same speed.

Our contract termed and needs to be renewed. We would like to try a different package with higher speed eventually but giving the current situation, we hesitate to upgrade.

I googled about this and it seems like many people have the same issue with upload but no solution?

Could someone please help?
Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Unusable upload speed at night and during weekend?
qtippy

I'm experiencing the exact same problems you described and went through the same steps (router replaced, ONT replaced, PON card rebooted) trying to correct it and my upload speed is still slow as molasses. 

Curious, what area are you in?

I opened a thread earlier without much response: http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/extreme-slow-upload-speed-in-Dallas-area/td-p/619117

0 Likes
Monmonoke
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm also in Dallas.

And my speed dropped about the same time as yours, last Thursday night/Friday.

I thought it could be an area traffic/outage issue but the tech guy told me today that since it's fiber, you don't share the line with anyone, it goes directly to Verizon...

Since my contract expired, I called Verizon to upgrade my plan to 50/25 just to test a few days and see. If it fixes the issue, we'll not switch back to 15/5 and will renew the conract. Then the download speed went up to 58-59 and upload was around 10 (should be 25 but at least it's better than 1). I used speedtest.net since I exceeded the number of tests on the Verizon one for today. Speedtest.net generally returns faster result than the Verizon one. The Verizon one also times out a lot. For browsing, the overall speed picked up a little bit, but not much. 😞

I'm downloading something now but will run a few more tests tonight just to see if the new speed is consistent.

PS: so glad I copied my response before hitting reply as the page just timed out... you would think with the new plan that wouldn't be an issue anymore.

0 Likes
qtippy

I just got off the phone with another tech. She was not helpful at all. It looks like I'm going to have to cancel.

They're now insisting it's a computer issue b/c when the tech that came to my house noted in the ticket that my computer should be optimized for RWin buffer. He tested the speed on his android tablet and said everything was ok. When i called just now, I asked Verizon to send a tech with a Windows laptop and test it, and she said it would cost me $91.......... There is just no I'm doing that. I have windows computers, macs, androids and Iphone; and they're all slow in upload to certain servers and using Google/Verizon websites. Don't tell I need to suddenly get all of their RWin optimized. Complete **bleep**.

I bet the PON card is bad and they don't want to fix it.

0 Likes
Monmonoke
Enthusiast - Level 2

Finished downloading my program. Ran a few more speed tests. Download speed fluctuates (bt/ 15 and 59) and upload is back to under 1M, even on speedtest.net.

On the phone with tech again. We mentioned PON card but they said they couldn't find anything on their end. They are going to send another tech next Tuesday...

0 Likes
qtippy

*sigh* Make sure they bring a laptop that's same as your OS to test it. My tech had a Android tablet and insisted the speed test was the OK and the problem lies with my computers. Funny though, he said his tablet couldnt run the Flash for Verizon's speedtest, so there's no way it's the same as the one I use. I showed him how slow google is, and it was pretty brushed aside.

Please keep me updated on your issue. Perhaps if they fix it for you it'll be fixed here too; then I wouldnt have to switch. 

0 Likes
Monmonoke
Enthusiast - Level 2

The tech just left. He said we've done everything on our end (replace the router/ONT unit, etc.) and one of my neighbors has the exact same issue. He's going to contact his manager to escalate the issue and call me back later today or tomorrow - could be something at the central office or might be the splitter on the street. Will keep you posted.

0 Likes
Monmonoke
Enthusiast - Level 2

The second tech guy didn't call us back to give an update on what happened with his conversation with manager - he said he will call yesterday or today.

I got a text yesterday evening saying the ticket was closed. So we chat with online support asking why the ticket was closed when the issue is not solved. We were asked to repeat many of the steps that we've already done many times, run optimizer, reboot router, run multiple speed tests and they reboot the PON card on their end... 

The online agent was trying to convince us that it's our computer because the RWIN value from the TCP analyst is low. Well, we just don't buy it since we are not the only people that have this issue in the area. Also, we ran the TCP optimizer on all of our computers already.

It's a shame and such a waste of time that the customers have to contact Verizon multiple times, repeat the exact same thing every time and not getting the problem resolved, their only solution seems to be sending out another tech to the house... yes, they are sending another (3rd) tech to our house tomorrow.

0 Likes
qtippy

They were telling me the same thing. I'm now trying an online/forum ticket, not sure if it makes any difference; I've always called.

Just sent in analysis of another verizon speedtest bc they're interested in the buffer size again.

0 Likes
Monmonoke
Enthusiast - Level 2

The second tech called this morning to follow up and it turns out they send him again for today's visit.

He was asked by the solution center to repeat the same thing, rebooting router, run speed tests...

Apparently to have the issue escalated to the next tier (possibly check for PON card), they have to prove that the speed is slow on their equipment as well. He's coming back with a VZ laptop tomorrow. 

0 Likes