Unwanted Verizon Security Autoruns
Dan_Schumacher
Enthusiast - Level 3

Sometime over the past week, some Verizon security autoruns have started.  It/they run every 2 minutes and generate six log files in my C:\Users\xxx\Local Settings\Temp folder:

spa-vas-campaigns-display-suspender.log

spa-vas-ie.log

spa-vas-mcafee-schedule.log

spa-vas-segments-validator.log

spd-vasscripts_verizon_rps.log

verizon-mcafee-vas.log

I do not have the Verizon Security Suite, Radialpoint, or any Mcafee product loaded on my system that I can find (using Control Panel or walking through my Program Files and Program Files (x86) folders), but there is a Radialpoint folder in my Program Data folder.

Does anyone know how to stop these autoruns?  The log files tend to grow in size rather quickly, and they automatically recreate themselves within a minute or two of deleting them.

Regards, Dan

0 Likes
Re: Unwanted Verizon Security Autoruns
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

What version of Windows are you running? For example, Windows XP 64 Bit Pro SP3.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

you probably want to download the radialpoint uninstall tool that gets rid of traces of radialpoint after it's been uninstalled.

To use the uninstall utility:

1. Download theRPSUU.exe file and save it to the Desktop.
  2. Double click the Clean up Utility.
  3. Click ‘Yes’ to begin the uninstallation

and you probably want to do something similiar for the mcafee software

Follow these directions to download the McAfee Removal Tool and run it to remove the above programs.

1. Click on the following link to download the MCPR removal tool

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe
  2. Click Save and save the file to your desktop
  3. Close all McAfee Application windows you may have open, and double-click on MCPR.exe to start the removal tool. Windows Vista users will have to right-click on the file and select "Run as Administrator"
  4. After the removal tool finishes, you should be prompted to restart your computer. 
  5. Once the computer restarts, your McAfee product should be uninstalled.
  6. If for any reason there appears a red X during the uninstall, go to the following location for more advanced uninstall instructions involving the registry.

http://tools.mcafeehelp.com/doc.php?siteid=1&docid=419397
Dan_Schumacher
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hubrisnxs,

Although I have never knowingly had Mcafee installed, and it has never showed up in any Program Files folder, I ran both uninstall tools. Both ran to completion successfuly, and the Mcafee uninstall log confirmed it (although there were a lot of files/entries not found in the log).  However, after deleting the six previously listed files, they returned and are still updating every 2 minutes.

Using Task Manager, I found three services that were digitally signed by Radialpoint.  When I stopped those three services, the six log files stopped updating every 2 minutes.

In tracking through Windows Explorer, I found that the executable files for these services were all located in the \Program Files (x86)\Verizon\VSP folder.  Interestingly enough, there is another executable in that folder named StopVerizonServicepoint.exe.  I am going to see if that has any persistent effect, and if not, just uninstall the Servicepoint application.

Regards, Dan

P.S.  This is on a Windows 7 Ultimate (64 bit) system.

Dan_Schumacher
Enthusiast - Level 3

Final solution was to use msconfig and unclick the Verizon Servicepoint.  That also stopped a seventh log file that I had missed.

Regards, Dan