Update on Video Streaming Issues: Verizon Officially Acknowledges The Problem
JamesMowery
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello everyone,

Good news!

I just got off the phone with a tech support agent at Verizon. After giving him a bit of a hard time and apologizing for it — after being frustrated for the past month over the issues with YouTube and other streaming services — I finally have received word that this issue is officially acknolwedged by Verzion.

The explanation I received is that there is a capacity problem with YouTube/Google services during peak Internet hours — although I actually notice issues during off-peak Internet hours as well — and that they are currently working to address this problem. Additionally, the support technician acknolwedged that there is capacity problems with other services, some of which I have noted in my reporting to Verzion's support. It was stated that they are currently working to add additional capacity.

I'm relieved that someone at Verizon has finally acknowledged that this is, in fact, a serious issue, and that they have said that they are working to resolve it. So, again that's the good news.

And then the bad news: there's no official timeframe for resolution.

If anyone hears anything different, please let me and everyone else know, as I'm eager to have this issue resolved and to finally enjoy the Internet as I had hoped to experience it when I switched to FiOS.

P.S. I would just like to add that the suggestion of blocking certain servers/addresses did not work for me to any great extent. I spent hours trying to block certain IP ranges with not so good results. The end result was frustration, and it mostly resulted in me not being able to play certain videos at all. I've resorted to using a VPN until the issue is fully resolved.

Re: Update on Video Streaming Issues: Verizon Officially Acknowledges The Problem
lingod12
Enthusiast - Level 2

@JamesMowery wrote:

Hello everyone,

Good news!

I just got off the phone with a tech support agent at Verizon. After giving him a bit of a hard time and apologizing for it — after being frustrated for the past month over the issues with YouTube and other streaming services — I finally have received word that this issue is officially acknolwedged by Verzion.

The explanation I received is that there is a capacity problem with YouTube/Google services during peak Internet hours — although I actually notice issues during off-peak Internet hours as well — and that they are currently working to address this problem. Additionally, the support technician acknolwedged that there is capacity problems with other services, some of which I have noted in my reporting to Verzion's support. It was stated that they are currently working to add additional capacity.

I'm relieved that someone at Verizon has finally acknowledged that this is, in fact, a serious issue, and that they have said that they are working to resolve it. So, again that's the good news.

And then the bad news: there's no official timeframe for resolution.

If anyone hears anything different, please let me and everyone else know, as I'm eager to have this issue resolved and to finally enjoy the Internet as I had hoped to experience it when I switched to FiOS.

P.S. I would just like to add that the suggestion of blocking certain servers/addresses did not work for me to any great extent. I spent hours trying to block certain IP ranges with not so good results. The end result was frustration, and it mostly resulted in me not being able to play certain videos at all. I've resorted to using a VPN until the issue is fully resolved.

Thanks so much for sharing!  Now hopefully Verizon will get it resolved in a timely manner.

Re: Update on Video Streaming Issues: Verizon Officially Acknowledges The Problem
nynestor

This is not a Verizon issue I think. I just switched off of their name servers and am now using Google DNS on all my devices and the speed is amazing as it should be. 

The thing is the Verizon DNS servers might have capacity problem at times and the name look-up's needed by the streaming services depend on fast name resolution. If there's just a small delay that would interrupt the "stream" and stream is not an accurate word because these streams are actaully just http chucks downloaded in succession rather than as 1 contnuous block. Therefore name resoltuion HAS to be fast.

How most routers are set up is that they use the router hardware to connect to DNS server out on the web. If you look at your IP config through your device it will tell you the DNS is set at "automatic" meaning it's using the router's internal '192.168.1.100' or whatever the first device is. 

I've read places that say the firmware used by the router might cause the issue so you're better off just using Google DNS until the system is fixed. 

Your device documentation should contain instructions on how to set your DNS. They need to be set at:

primary: 8.8.8.8

secondary: 8.8.4.4

Once you've pointed your devices to use that as your DNS the "streaming" problems will go away. 

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/

0 Likes
JamesMowery
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi nynestor,

Your solution is not true (at least for me). I've tested multiple DNS servers (including measuring DNS server performance) on a weekly basis for the past month, and the changes have had no impact. To confirm, I just switched to Google's DNS, and I'm still having issues with videos freezing up within seconds, and receiving around 150 - 200KB/s, whereas I receive 4MB/s - 7MB/s from YouTube with my Charter internet connection.

I wish it was just as simple as what you suggested; however, I am actually happy that this isn't the solution.

If using Google's DNS was required for YouTube to properly work, I'd very very concerned about why this solution would have worked. Would this be a case of Google forcing users to use their DNS to receive the best expereince with YouTube? That doesn't seem right; in fact, that's a scary precedent.

I'm happy your YouTube expereince has improved.

0 Likes
watice
Enthusiast - Level 3

Unfortunately, until Google fixes their peering & capacity issues, VZ will continue to bear the complaints of "slow youtubez!" Hopefully they can work this out soon, as it's becoming a growing issue among the expanding FIOS customer base.

0 Likes
NYCFiosBoy
Enthusiast - Level 3

Youtube has been annoyingly slow for me even with a 50/35 mbps service even to watch at 360p resolution. If me and millions of other fios subscribers just have "to deal with it" i am moving away and going with other isps that don't have this problem. Awaiting google fiber in my area.

0 Likes
warder1

I'm new to Verizon internet and TV. I've been experiencing all kinds of issues streaming video. YouTube, HBO Go, Netflix, etc...you name it. I called tech support and after explaining everything, he told me that since I am getting the correct test speeds on Verizons own website, that I am getting what I paid for and there's nothing they could do. I've had a lot of bad customer service in the past, but nothing so horrible as that. He said as long as I have a wireless connection that is as far as they guarantee their service. Wether it works or not isn't a concern to them. I talked to a supervisor and he told me the same thing. Absolutely horrible customer service.

0 Likes
luddite3

This sure isn't why I got Fios.  I use a notoriously slow 3g aircard from a known low cost provider and the videos work just fine.  Has verizon oversold their product? 

0 Likes
8ate8

Just finished the live chat support, and heard the same "we acknowledge it's an issue between verizon/google and we are working on a solution with no timeframe".

This is rediculous. I'm tempted to drop verizon and switch back to comcast, and I hated comcast. I have no issue whatsoever with youtube while on comcast (my mother has comcast currently), but my 50Mbps Fios can't stream 360p.

It's laughably bad.

0 Likes
NYCFiosBoy
Enthusiast - Level 3

I have done everything I can to speed up my youtube, and its just frustrating. Add a plus to the idea I have about this to officially have it acknowledged.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/Share-Your-Ideas-with-Verizon/Verizon-Youtube-Video-Extremely-Slow-Only...

0 Likes