Updating computer from Win XP Service Pack 1 loses Fios connection
Maureen14

AT Christmas I was checking my sister's computer.  She has FIOS internet connection and uses AOL.  Anyhow, she has never updated her computer in the last 4 years.  I DL Security Pack 2 and installed it and immediately lost her FIOS connection.  Since I have DSL on my own computer, I could not figure out how to get the fios connection back so I had to do a restore.  So she is still not updated and has no virus protection either since her windows is so out of date.  (any software she got when they installed FIOS is lost somewhere in her house).  Any suggestions on how I can update and clean up her computer (I found 125 spyware and 7 trojans) and still maintain her FIOS connection?

Thanks

0 Likes
Re: Updating computer from Win XP Service Pack 1 loses Fios connection
Zoinks
Enthusiast - Level 2

My advice to you would be to back up her data,  and then format and reinstall Windows.  In my experience, that will be much quicker in the long run than trying to eradicate many different viruses and spyware.

And when you're done, her internet will likely just work.   FIOS doesn't need any special software to run.

Also, when you've finished, do not give her everyday account Admin provileges.   Keep it as a "Power User".  If she needs to do any admin tasks, such as install software, have her log in as Administrator, install whatever, and then immediately log out.  This will keep out most malware.

Good luck.

Re: Updating computer from Win XP Service Pack 1 loses Fios connection
prisaz
Legend

@Maureen14 wrote:

AT Christmas I was checking my sister's computer.  She has FIOS internet connection and uses AOL.  Anyhow, she has never updated her computer in the last 4 years.  I DL Security Pack 2 and installed it and immediately lost her FIOS connection.  Since I have DSL on my own computer, I could not figure out how to get the fios connection back so I had to do a restore.  So she is still not updated and has no virus protection either since her windows is so out of date.  (any software she got when they installed FIOS is lost somewhere in her house).  Any suggestions on how I can update and clean up her computer (I found 125 spyware and 7 trojans) and still maintain her FIOS connection?

Thanks

Install a new harddrive. Do a clean install of the operating system, and update it. Install a GOOD antivirus software, make sure the antivirus software has been updated to the latest signature file, do a complete scan to be sure the PC is clean. If it is important to recover data on the old drive, reconnect the old hard drive and then scan it to clean what ever may be on it. Copy the data after the old drive has been found clean. Then do a format of the old drive if you want to use it. The old drive can be used to store what ever. But if the drive is old, you may just want to trash it. Now the drive prices have dropped so much. A new WD terabyte OEM drive is only $99. I myself would never run such a large drive as a system drive. I prefer the fast WD Raptor 10k RPM drive for the OS, and then a separate larger drive for storage.
0 Likes