Upgrade Actiontec router - process?
snakster
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have the Rev A version of the actiontec router.  For the sake of argument, lets say I get my hands on a Rev F.  Is it a complicated process to replace one with the other?  Can I simply unplug the old and plug in the new, or am I going to have to undertake some fancy configuring?  Thanks in Advance.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade Actiontec router - process?
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Its quite simple.

There are 2 easy ways.

1. Fast. Log into the current router. release the IP address, disconnect and then connect the new. Done

2. Slow, unplug the first router. leave everything disconnected for at least 2 hours then connect new router. Done.  I would disconnect when I go to bed and then next morning connect the new.

View solution in original post

spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Its quite simple.

There are 2 easy ways.

1. Fast. Log into the current router. release the IP address, disconnect and then connect the new. Done

2. Slow, unplug the first router. leave everything disconnected for at least 2 hours then connect new router. Done.  I would disconnect when I go to bed and then next morning connect the new.

snakster
Enthusiast - Level 2

Excellent, that's exactly what i wanted to know.  Much appreciated.

snakster
Enthusiast - Level 2

As a quick follow-up, I picked up a Rev F on eBay and did the 'overnight method' connection method described above.  Boom! worked without issue.  Frankly, I'm amazed it was that simple. 

I had been considering buying a wireless N router and connecting it to my old Actiontec, but I haven't had a great deal of success when I actually have to 'go in' and do something.

Would I rather have a 'full wireless compliant Rev G'? Yes.   Am I please as punch with a Rev F over my Rev A? No question.

And I spent probably as much or even less than the secondary wireless routers I was looking at.

Thanks again.

irwing
Enthusiast - Level 2

Has anyone tried this process with a non Actiontec Router example Linksys, etc...

I have a Ethernet connection to my ONT so I can replace the Actiontec with any standard router if this works

Hubrisnxs
Legend

should work perfectly, just as described by spacedebris.  

🙂

prisaz
Legend

@irwing wrote:

Has anyone tried this process with a non Actiontec Router example Linksys, etc...

I have a Ethernet connection to my ONT so I can replace the Actiontec with any standard router if this works

My router is a Linux box running IP-Cop and multiple NICs, one connected to the ONT ethernet port. I have the Actiontec as a MOCA bridge for FiOS TV service only, and all other features with routing are turned off. I get my wireless through a Hawking HWABN1 Hi-Gain 300N AP. Do not look for Verizon support for any non standard configurations if you should have trouble. Be prepaired to place the Verizon supplied router back as the default device, and reset it back to the origional configuration if you need to call for support.

Remember without the Verizon router as default, if you have FiOS TV, you will give up some of the enhanced features such as remote DVR access and Caller ID.

If you have changed the standard Verizon configuration, you should back up the settings so you can put it back your way after trouble shooting if you are using it at all.

To use the Actiontec as a MOCA bridge I connect my switch to one of the Actiontec LAN ports, turn DHCP off, set the Actiontec address to not conflict with my router, and use my router to assign the proper IP addresses to the TV hardware based on the MAC addresses. It can be very complex and best not done my way, unless you know exactly what you are doing.