Upgrade from 10/2 to 50/25: Will I need a router?
Shade_Koopa

I currently have a MI424WR-GEN2 router that came with our FiOS. In a few days, my internet will go form 10/2 to 50/25. Will I need to have the new MI424WR GigE N router in order to enjoy my increase speed in my wired/wireless connection? Also, the router is still connected via coax, will I need to have that changed to ethernet (heard that makes connection faster)?

0 Likes
Re: Upgrade from 10/2 to 50/25: Will I need a router?
tns
Master - Level 2

They will not normally upgrade your router.  Note that the router you have cannot hit the speed (50/25) wirelessly but when in reasonable range can hit 20 to 25.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

They use Coax upto 100mbs, and ethernet for over 100 mbs, and I think you get the Wireless N router if you are going over 100 mbs, but under it, you may have to purchase it if you want it.

0 Likes
Shade_Koopa

Well, my family and I use alot of wireless devices in the house. We have pretty weak signal when we get to far away. And I would like to get the maximum speed I can get with my N-wireless enabled device. Would getitn gthis 80 dollar FiOS router help or is it just a waste with my currect 50D/25U speed?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Keep your current ActionTec and get an access point (or bridge/dumb down a router) to hang off of it. That would be my advice. Many of the 3rd party units have better range, speed and compatibility as many have noticed. That's not to say the FiOS router that Verizon offers is bad, it's a fine unit with some bloat in the firmware.

0 Likes
Shade_Koopa

So with my FiOS Quantum 50/25 internet package, getting the new "N" Router from verizon will not make a difference? I mean, my intention for getting it was to increase wireless range and get faster speed then my current router can offer.

0 Likes
skyliner34
Contributor - Level 2

Yes you will get close to your actually speed if you have an N router. Many fios tech says I won't get close to

my speed wirelessly but they were wrong after I put a 3rd party router that was for $42 that had B+G+N 300 mbps router.

So yes either get a 3rd party router that supports N or get the fios N router you will see a huge difference in speed trust

me I went through this already. I have 25/25 and I only got 12/2 with the stock actiontec router because it only had B+G

but once I used a 3rd party router I get 25/23 or sometimes over that so yes you should get a router that supports N and

don't listen to these people that say it doesn't work because I did and when I tried it I did notice a huge difference in

wireless speed.

aliasneo1
Enthusiast - Level 3
MyBusiness

I upgraded 2 yrs ago to 50/35. Didn't get what I expected from my WI-FI, but slightly better than before.  The up speed was faster than the down speed, the complete opposite of what it should be. Before upgrading I had a Actiontec MI424 Rev C.  Read somewhere that routers with a single antenna could not handle these speeds (50/35).  Because my Wi-Fi speed had dropped to 11.5/11.7 I Spent 2 hrs with Verizon tech a couple of weeks ago.  End result: Verizon replaced my router with an Actiontec MI424 Rev I.  It has dual antennas and I am now getting 50+mbps dwn, and 35+mbps up over my WI-FI. What an improvement.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Note that Verizon is starting to upgrade routers for people who change to a higher download speed.  At least in some areas.  See http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29470355-Free-FiOS-Advanced-Wi-Fi-router-with-upgrade-to-50M-or-hig...

0 Likes