Upgrade to 100/100 without Quantum router?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I currently have 75/75 internet service and an Actiontec Rev I router.   I just noticed Verizon is offering 100/100 for $5/mo more than I'm paying now.  I'm tempted to spring for the increase but I have no interest in changing routers.  My Actiontec has a fairly involved configuration and it's working OK for me.

Can anyone speak from experience and tell me if I'll be able to place the order without getting the new router?

Thanks.

Edit:

I'd also be interest in anyone's personal experience using coax from ONT to Actiontec Rev I with 100/100 or higher plan.  I'm trying to not open a bag-of-worms by upgrading and although I could run Cat 6 from my ONT to my router, I really would prefer not to. 

Edit #2:

I tentavely stepped through the order process on the Verizon website and it asked me to schedule a date/time for a Verizon installer to visit.  Uhhhh....why do I need an installer to move from 75/75 to 100/100?  Smiley Frustrated

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade to 100/100 without Quantum router?
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

ONT is located on your house, not the pole.

I beleive the only change that might need to bemade is the ONT.

And they will change your Internet from MOCA (via coax) to Ethernet.
So make sure they can run the cable to wherever you have your router.

View solution in original post

JustinG1
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Actiontec Rev I router should be able to handle the bump up in speeds, you would have to tell your installer that you want to keep it.

There is an explanation for an installer having to come out for the upgrade. Currently, all plans up to 75/75 are connected to a BPON (Broadband Passive Optical Network), but all plans that are higher than 75/75 are connected to a GPON (Gigabit Passive Optical Network). So then why do you need an installer?

To put that into english, you need the tech to basically unplug your cable from a box that is slower, and plug it into a box on a telephone pole that is faster and can handle speeds over 75 Mbps.

Hope I could help!

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Thanks for the reply JustinG.

We have underground wiring in our neighborhood, including FiOS fiber.  Are you saying that the installer will have to make the change to the GPON in one of the underground vaults, or on a telephone pole outside the neighborhood where wiring surfaces?

And that he won't need to change my ONT or any wiring to my router?

I was hoping this upgrade would be as simple as it was when I upgraded to 75/75....just a change on my account and resetting my ONT.

I have to admit I'm now leaning towards not fixing something that isn't broken.  Smiley Frustrated

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Ok, CRob.

That's what I wasn't clear on...whether my ONT would actually have to be replaced.  It know where it is...on the wall in my garage.

I could run Cat 6 from the ONT to my router but as I said above, I'm now leaning toward not fixing something that isn't broken.

Thanks for the info.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

Switching from bpon to Gpon Is not just the ont.  I would guess its the OLT as well.  Not sure about that, but I know when mine was switched he had to get someone out with a bucket because a change had to be made elsewhere at another pole that couldn't be climbed to connect my fiber so a differernt location at the Local Office.

Note that some people where originally installed on GPON, but still need a call to run ethenet in addition to the existing coax to the router.

I didn't check if anyone commented about when you can use your own router  vs Verizon's.  Essentially can use your own if you don't have FIOS TV service.

@CRobGauth wrote:

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I do have FiOS TV and I'm fine with needing/using a Verizon router, but I'm satisfied with my Actiontec Rev I and since my LAN configuration is a little on the complex side, I wouldn't look forward to having to configure a new Quantum router.  And then there's having to switch from coax to Ethernet....

I've decided, at least for the time being, I'm going to just stick with my 75/75 plan and not open the can of worms that upgrading to 100/100 might involve.  Smiley Wink

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@tns_2 wrote:

Switching from bpon to Gpon Is not just the ont.  I would guess its the OLT as well.  Not sure about that, but I know when mine was switched he had to get someone out with a bucket because a change had to be made elsewhere at another pole that couldn't be climbed to connect my fiber so a differernt location at the Local Office.

Note that some people where originally installed on GPON, but still need a call to run ethenet in addition to the existing coax to the router.

I didn't check if anyone commented about when you can use your own router  vs Verizon's.  Essentially can use your own if you don't have FIOS TV service.

I have fios TV service.  I use my own router as the gateway and have the Verizxon router on the network only for the STBs

0 Likes