Upgrade to FIOS Quantum Gateway, lose Chromecast
vickibma1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Chromecast worked great with my previous Fios modem.

Then I upgraded to the new faster, better, longer-rage modem. ($200.)

With the new modem, the network doesn't see my Chromecast device.

After wasting much time searching the support website and then going through the customer service tree, and getting my modem checked by a technician, I was transfered to "Sales for Service."

The salesman then informed me that my new modem comes with a "closed port" and that I would have to PAY them to open it.... he then kindly apologized for having used "gobbledygook technical language like port."  (Let's not add insult to injury thank you. Shucks, gee whizz, I do know what a port is. And I can certainly follow instructions to change any settings that need to be changed).  

But the setting changes are not available anywhere that I could find.

And support won't point you to them if they are.

They will, however, do it for you for a one-time charge of $80, or a long contract for $14.99 a month.

Really Verizon?

Really?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrade to FIOS Quantum Gateway, lose Chromecast
vickibma1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was having trouble connecting my Chromecast to the new wifi router.

But Verizon's pay-support tried to convince me that the problem was a locked port and only they could unlock it... for a stiff charge.

The simple solution which I finally found on a non-Verizon website was to press the hidden button on the Chromecast until the light changes, and then unplug the power to the Chromecast and then replug it. (the unplugging is a necessary step)

This resets the Chromecast and allows the interface to ask you to chose your new network.

Thanks for responding.

View solution in original post

Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Are you have trouble connecting the Chromecast to the router's wifi or are you having trouble opening a port on the router?

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@vickibma wrote:

Chromecast worked great with my previous Fios modem.

Then I upgraded to the new faster, better, longer-rage modem. ($200.)

With the new modem, the network doesn't see my Chromecast device.

After wasting much time searching the support website and then going through the customer service tree, and getting my modem checked by a technician, I was transfered to "Sales for Service."

The salesman then informed me that my new modem comes with a "closed port" and that I would have to PAY them to open it.... he then kindly apologized for having used "gobbledygook technical language like port."  (Let's not add insult to injury thank you. Shucks, gee whizz, I do know what a port is. And I can certainly follow instructions to change any settings that need to be changed).  

But the setting changes are not available anywhere that I could find.

And support won't point you to them if they are.

They will, however, do it for you for a one-time charge of $80, or a long contract for $14.99 a month.

Really Verizon?

Really?

The quantum gateway is a router not a modem.

Did you reconfigure your chromecast device to get an address from the network after changing the routers?  Until you do that the network WON'T see your device.  There are no port opening needed to get a chromecast running.

0 Likes
vickibma1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thanks for your help. And of course, you are exactly correct.

The simple solution which I finally found on a non-Verizon website was to press the hidden button until the light changes, and then unplug the power to the Chromekey and then replug it. (the unplugging is a necessary step)

All of that nonesense about closed ports was apparently sleezy Verizon pay-support salesmanship to get me to pay for the obvious.

Verizon actually sells the Chromecast, so this information shouldn't have been so hard to find.. .Even with extensive searching, I couldn't find this simple step anywhere on the Verizon website.

Thanks again-

0 Likes
vickibma1
Enthusiast - Level 2

That's the solution!

There is a hidden button on the Chromecast that resets it.

Once it's reset, the interface allows you to choose the new network.

Very simple.... and Verizon even sells Chromecasts, so why can't their website or their support give you this little piece of information?

The non-sense about locked ports that are too complicated for my silly little head was just sales **bleep**.

My overall experience with Verizon over many years has been excellent. Superlative even. 

But this sour experience makes me wonder if things are changing. I hope not!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Mark it solved so that others will see the solution.

0 Likes
vickibma1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was having trouble connecting my Chromecast to the new wifi router.

But Verizon's pay-support tried to convince me that the problem was a locked port and only they could unlock it... for a stiff charge.

The simple solution which I finally found on a non-Verizon website was to press the hidden button on the Chromecast until the light changes, and then unplug the power to the Chromecast and then replug it. (the unplugging is a necessary step)

This resets the Chromecast and allows the interface to ask you to chose your new network.

Thanks for responding.