Re: Upgrade to Gen3 FIOS Router
milhans1
Enthusiast - Level 3

No, there nothing special.  After you install it, I had to wait about 20 minutes for the Verizon assigned IP address to drop and it will just start working.  You canalso call tech supportbeak drop the old connection and get it working immediately

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@milhans wrote:

No, there nothing special.  After you install it, I had to wait about 20 minutes for the Verizon assigned IP address to drop and it will just start working.  You canalso call tech supportbeak drop the old connection and get it working immediately

You can release it yourself from the router

1. log into the router

2. go to "My network"

3. Click on "network connections" on the left hand side

4. Click on "broadband connecion"

a. Ethernet if you have ethernet internet

b. coax if you have coax internet

5. Click on "settings"

6. find "DHCP LEASE" and click release

0 Likes
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

@viafax999 wrote:

@milhans wrote:

You can release it yourself from the router

1. log into the router

2. go to "My network"

3. Click on "network connections" on the left hand side

4. Click on "broadband connecion"

a. Ethernet if you have ethernet internet

b. coax if you have coax internet

5. Click on "settings"

6. find "DHCP LEASE" and click release

Do you have to clone the mac address from the old router to the new one?

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Not unless you had something dependent on that mac address.

0 Likes
Mistaya
Enthusiast - Level 3
I wonder if where you live depends on what tech support you get. I just called them 2 days ago telling then my Version E wasn't working right and they sent me a new one which turned out to be the I Gig G router. Customer support told me if you go through them they have to charge you but if you go through tech then you won't be charged though tech says they won't promise what you get. Customer support told me just to make something up so they would send me one but since I didn't need to make it up turned out not an issue.
0 Likes
ronzie1
Contributor - Level 2

@tns wrote:

Not unless you had something dependent on that mac address.

So Verizon's DHCP server doesn't care what you hook up, it'll just go ahead and assign an IP?

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@ronzie wrote:

So Verizon's DHCP server doesn't care what you hook up, it'll just go ahead and assign an IP?

Correct.  However, as already pointed out, you have to either manually release the existing DHCP lease, or wait for it to expire before you can get a DHCP lease on a device with a different MAC address.

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
#1 Close but not cigar. Besides those two things, one can spoof/clone the WAN MAC Address of the router. #2 As how that is done, will depend on the router's UI.
0 Likes
Diego10901
Enthusiast - Level 3

I just upgraded last week to the 75/35 and while I get 84/39 on the wired computer I am only getting 21-23/19-21 on my mac upstairs, do you really think the new $79 router will help the wifi? Or am I wasting my time & money.

Thanks in advance.   

0 Likes
ys27

I got it for free but it was a pain and alittle bit of luck. I have a neighbor that recently upgraded to fios for a good price. he has been on their waiting list for a year because he wanted to do it when he wanted to. Verizon didnt mind. He got the newest equiptment including the rev i router. I then called and reported that i was having problems wirelessly which i was. they did all of the optimizing and speed tests and refused to give it to me for free. they tried to get me to buy it and i refused saying that i was a good customer with a problem they should help. I no they dont promise wireless speeds but i was paying for 50/25 and getting 60/30 when hard wired and like 15/5 wireless. I called up last time and the guy didnt argue and did a replacement router order and said there would be a good chance that I would revieve the rev i router and i luclily did and didnt have to pay.

0 Likes