Upgraded ONT to High Speed but cannot see internet with my own router
bluelight1

Hi - Read posts here about switching out Verizon router for my own, learned a lot (thank you) but now that I pulled the trigger to cut cable, ran ethernet into and all through the house (big job), and upgraded ONT hardware to high speed through Verizon, my own router cannot see the internet from ONT. Verizon left their G3100 router for me to play with. It works fine but range is terrible. My router is a Netgear Nighthawk R7800. I logged into the G3100 to release the DHCP Lease, unplugged the cable from the G3100 and immediately plugged into my new router to pull a new DCHP lease, but it cannot see the internet (also verified through a hardwire connection to the router). Any feedback or ideas is much appreciated!

I would also like to know if I can run the WAN ethernet from the ONT to a switch (in basement) before the Router. This will allow me to divide the signal to a hardwire laptop in my basement and then run upstairs to a central location for my new router. OR does the WAN need to go to the router before anything else?

Thank you for reading! 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Update
LVJ221
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wanted to update that I spoke with Verizon Tech Support and they had to release the DHCP lease and ensure that the MAC address of the personal router (in my case the Nighthawk R9000) was visible to them.  

I had to reset the router while tech support was on the phone because even after dropping the DHCP client, when I plugged in my personal router, the MAC address of the G3100 was still present.  After a router reset, the tech support rep was able to see the MAC of the R9000.

After that the internet worked! 

View solution in original post

Re: Upgraded ONT to High Speed but cannot see internet with my own router
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

#1 As need be, in your own router spoof/clone the WAN MAC Address of the FIOS Router,

#2 While you can use a switch, you can not put the switch between the ONT and your router since more than likely you have only one public IP Address assigned to you.

[EDIT] Sort of proved wrong about the switch location. From Trying to Move Router, Can I Put a Switch Where the Router Is? 

To do what you want to do using a standard switch is not possible.

You could do it with two configurable switches that understand VLAN's in which case you could create two layer 2 separate non-routed VLAN's -- one to carry the "external" side of the router's traffic and one to carry the "internal" side -- which one switch on each side of a single trunk run between rooms. But unless you immediately understand the terminology I describe above, then this is likely not the path for you.

Internet not recognized on the new router
LVJ221
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello,

I am having the same problem.  I tried to install my Nighthawk X10 today and even though I used the MAC address from the GS3100 it did not work.  I have a call with verizon tech to have them release the DHCP lease and find out more details as to why the internet is being blocked.

If anyone can provide more insight into this it would be great.  Thank you!

0 Likes
Update
LVJ221
Enthusiast - Level 1

I wanted to update that I spoke with Verizon Tech Support and they had to release the DHCP lease and ensure that the MAC address of the personal router (in my case the Nighthawk R9000) was visible to them.  

I had to reset the router while tech support was on the phone because even after dropping the DHCP client, when I plugged in my personal router, the MAC address of the G3100 was still present.  After a router reset, the tech support rep was able to see the MAC of the R9000.

Re: Update
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

@LVJ22 wrote:

While you are not the OP, I am glad to hear/read that. Marking your post as the solved post.