Upgraded to 20 Mbps from 10Mbps, see no improvement in wireless connection
jaycpa99

I use speakeasy to perform a speed test quite regularly and while I was on 10mbps my wireless connection would max out at 6mbps.  I figured that was about right given the inteference from walls, phones, microwaves, etc.  I use my laptop (windows xp) about 25 feet away from the router (verizon/actiontec).  However I expected that when I upgraded to 20mbps that the speed would go up to the 10 to 12 range.  I get no improvement in the wireless connection.  I still max out at 6mbps according to speakeasy (the before and after speeds are identical).  I know Verizon turned on the 20 because if I plug in directly to the router, I get 20.

here is what i have done:

1. Rebooted the router
  2. reset the router
  3. used the verizon fios speed optimizer
  4. rebooted the pc
  5. used the verizon fios internet connection wizard to fix intermitent connection issues

Is there anything else I can do?  It seems weird that I get no wireless improvement at all by doubling my speed.  I appreciate any suggestions anyone can offer. 

0 Likes
Re: Upgraded to 20 Mbps from 10Mbps, see no improvement in wireless connection
Justin46
Legend

I think you have misunderstood the speed choice; the speed you are paying for is between the router and Verizon's servers, not between the router and your PC. That is true for any connection, by any ISP. As you found out, you really do have 20mbps service, because you get that, or close to it, when hardwired to the router. I have 20/5 service, and I get very close to it wired, but never get more than about 15-16 down wireless. 

Beyond the things you have tried, I suggest changing the wireless channel in the router, and see if you can find one that works better. Other wireless users in your neighborhood, and as you said, your cordless phones, etc, can all contribute to slow wireless. Changing the wireless channel may allow you to find one that does not experience interferance, and the speed may go up, hopefully significantly. But you most probably will never get the same speed as you get wired, so don't expect that.

What OS are you using, XP or Vista? If Vista, I think there supposedly is a Microsoft fix that will help with speed problems, maybe that would help (I don't have Vista, so I have no personal knowledge about it).

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
jaycpa99

Justin thanks for the response.

I use Windows XP on my pc.  About a month prior to upgrading my service, I downloaded netstumbler to see what channels were being used in the neighborhood  and everyone (14 signals) was using channel 1 or 11, so I moved to 6 and currently I am the only one using that channel.

Unfortunately the router was installed on the outermost wall of the house, I am wondering if changing the router antenna to a single-directional antenna would push a stronger signal across the house?

Thanks again for your help. 

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

Sorry about asking for the OS, it was in your original post, didn't read carefully enough.  Smiley Mad  

Looks like you are doing all of the right things to try to figure this out. Smiley Happy 

Since no one else is using channel 6, that might be good. But then again, it might not. I suggest trying all of the ones not in use by others to see if one just might happen to work better. Can't hurt, other than waste your time....

Good thought about the signal strength. Does the client PC you are using have any tool for viewing the signal strength? My laptop has an Intel wireless adapter, and the wireless adapter software gives me a reasonably good idea of the signal strength that it is seeing.

Since you are using the ActionTec router, I am sure you are aware that a fair number of users complain about the wireless signal strength. I have had absolutely no signal strength problems with my ActionTec, but I never use it more than 70-80 feet away and I get Excellent to Very Good at that distance, through three walls. How do you have the existing antenna oriented? Mine works best with the antenna vertical. There are other antennas that can be installed that supposedly will give greater signal strength, I have seen a post that I think said the one he got was about $25. Also, mounting or sitting the router as high as you can off of the floor seems to help.

Since you can get the rated speed wired, I think this absolutely has to be a wireless issue; unfortunately you are probably going to have to just experiment, move things around, change definitions, etc, and hopefully quickly hit upon the magic number that works. Good luck, I am pretty much out of ideas at this point, but I will keep thinging about your problem, maybe something will pop up, you never know.

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
4thDoctorWhoFan
I had the same issue with the Verizon Auctiontek router. I am using the newer rounded looking router. Anyway, I would get full speed (20/5) wired to the router but only 8-10Mbps down using the wireless. After turning off the SID broadcast and switching to channel 1, I was able to get 10-12 down. That still was not good enough for me. Let me say that I have two laptops with one running Vista and one running XP. I had the same problem with both laptops.

To rule out my laptops, I turned off the Auctiontek wireless function and plugged my Linksys wireless G access point into the Auctiontek. Then something wonderful happened. I was getting full down going through my linksys wireless access point. Almost full down, it was between 19.5 and 19.8. To get this speed, I also had to switch my linksys router to channel 1. This channel seems to work best in my area. This is how I currently have it setup because I am unable to get full down with the Auctiontek router by using it's wireless function.

I called tech support and told them my situation to find out if this is a common problem with the Auctintek routers and they said I should be lucky that I was getting the 8-10 down using just the Auctiontek because that is good for that router. Needless to say, I was shocked. They said nothing was wrong with my router because 8-10 down is good and they don't guarantee any speed over wireless. What a load of crap!! So apparently they know that this Auctiontek router is crap and very underpowered. Anyway, I am know going full speed with about 19-20 down by going through my linksys wireless access point which is wired to the Auctiontek.
0 Likes
campbelljs

Sounds great!  How did your hook up your actiontec to your Linksys router?  Did you hook up with a cat5 from Lan to Lan, then disable the wireless on the actiontec? 

Thanks for any help!

Jon

0 Likes
golfdude
My two cents- I have the Actiontec router also and hard wired have reached 22/6 speeds.  However, my computer in the family room attached to the home entertainment system and wireless was only getting 12/3.  Signal strength was only "good".  I moved the router and the signal strength increase to "excellent".  Speeds increased to 16/5.  If you can reposition your router you may increase your speeds without buying anything.
0 Likes
4thDoctorWhoFan
Yes, I disabled the wireless on the actiontec then connected the Linksys access point via Lan to the Actiontec.  I had to adjust the channel on the Linksys router to channel 1 to get full speed.  Before anyone asks, yes, I tried adjusting to channel 1 on the Actiontec but that did not help.
0 Likes
4thDoctorWhoFan
golfdude, it sounds like your problem was a little different because it appears you had signal strength problems.  I did not have signal strength problems.  I was connected to the actiontec at full excellent signal strength but could not get over 8-10 down without the Linksys access point.
0 Likes
el3ment00
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solution: Upgrade your router and clients to wireless-N... I'm assuming that you're using G, and you'll never get the full 20megs with that, unless your tweak it or are right next to the router..

I had a hell of a time with my actiontec. Wireless clients were timing out due to a very small NAT table. Had to turn on DHCP relay on my actiontech and turn it into my bridge. My linksys now does all my routing for my internal LAN, even with 2 STB's.

Now, I'm faced with an external IP that's routing to Canada.. Good game Verizon. Fix your routing issues pls.