Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.

Upgraded to Fios One - Which Router to Use?

WMTribe
Contributor
Contributor

Upgraded to Fios One - Which Router to Use?

Message 1 of 5
(773 Views)

We just upgraded to Fios One.  Previously we had the upgraded white Verizon router.  With the upgrade equipment, they sent us a new router that looks like our first one (black & skinny).  Should we keep the white Verizon router, or can anyone tell me how to check to see which is better?  Sorry in advance for my ignorance!

4 REPLIES 4
Cang_Household
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Re: Upgraded to Fios One - Which Router to Use?

Message 2 of 5
(770 Views)

Fios One is a set-top box. Fios One needs either a G1100 or G3100 as the primary router to work. The white router you have is the G3100 and the black skinny one is the G1100. They would both work for the Fios one box. Regarding which one is better, it depends on your needs. I would argue G3100 is better given its up to date WiFi 6 and MoCA 2.5. If the G1100 is gifted to you at no charge, you can keep it and repurpose it as an extender. If it comes with a rental fee, I would recommend you to return it because you only need one router.

WMTribe
Contributor
Contributor

Message 3 of 5
(748 Views)

This is hugely helpful!  Thank you!

gs0b
Gold Contributor VII Gold Contributor VII
Gold Contributor VII

Message 4 of 5
(650 Views)

As Cang_Household stated, both are great routers.  The G3100 is the latest model and will be supported for a much longer time.

The other part of this decision is cost.  If both have the same rental fee or are free, go with the G3100.  If the G3100 costs more than the G1100, you might want to stick with the G1100 if you don't need/want WiFi6.

WMTribe
Contributor
Contributor

Message 5 of 5
(611 Views)

Thank you so much!

How-To Videos

The following videos were produced by users like you!

Videos are subject to the Verizon Fios Community Terms of Service and User Guidelines and contains content that is not created by Verizon.
Have a spare Fios-G1100?Learn how to bridge it into your network
Get Started

Covid19

Browse Categories
Categories:
Verizon Troubleshooters
Unable to find your answer here? Try searching Verizon Troubleshooters for more options.
Modal Dialogue Title