Upgrading Speed (Coax vs Ethernet) & Router Recommendations
CrysCrosby
Enthusiast - Level 2

I apologize as this may be duplicative of past posts but I can't find any one answer that meets all of the factors I've got going on. 

I have an ONT on the outside of my home and coax running through the home to the router and three STBs.  I'm paying for 75/75 but with this old red and black Actiontec router I get 15/15-ish at night when everybody else is asleep in the house and I'm standing right next to the router.   

I'd like to upgrade to 200/200 because... um, I'm paying the same price and that doesn't make sense.  And I'd like to not have to rent a router from Verizon. 

1. Is my speed limited if I'm still using coax instead of ethernet?
  2. Is there a coax-to-ethernet adapter I can use inside the home between the wall and the router?
  3. What router is recommended? I don't need a bunch of ethernet plugs, we're almost exclusively running off of wifi.  
  4. CSR said that he can send me a new router, but can't upgrade my service to 200/200 until a technician can come out to run ethernet to the router (for $150).  Is this true?

We currently have 3 STB but my plan is to cut out TV once we get the internet in working order.  But I want to be assured that the internet is up and running with good speed and good wifi service.

Any advice is welcome.  Thanks. 

Tags (4)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading Speed (Coax vs Ethernet) & Router Recommendations
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I guess the first thing to visit is what ONT you have installed at your house. Older ONTs are limited to 75 mbps regardless of coax or ethernet wiring. 

The old black and red Actiontec router is 2.4 GHz wireless N. Depending on the environment, that router probably won't get over 50 mbps. You may just need a better router or wireless access point that is dual band 2.4/5 GHz wireless AC or AX(wifi 6). To put things in perspective, you only need 25 mbps to stream 4k and 8 tk stream 1080 which is the majority of content. 

To answer your questions...

1. Yes. Older ONTs are limited to 75 mbps on coax or ethernet. Newer ONTs are limited to 100 mbps on coax. 

2. Yes. Since you are dropping TV you can get a pair of MoCA 2.0 adapters. Setup would be...

ONT > ethernet > 1st adapter > coax > 2nd adapter > ethernet to router. 

3. Mesh routers are very popular, but any router with gigabit ethernet ports and dual band wireless AC or AX will work. 

4. If you have an older ONT then yes 100% a tech needs to come out to upgrade the ONT. If already a gigabit capable ONT you can run ethernet yourself and call Verizon to switch to ethernet. Then you'll be able to upgrade to any speed Verizon offers. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

I guess the first thing to visit is what ONT you have installed at your house. Older ONTs are limited to 75 mbps regardless of coax or ethernet wiring. 

The old black and red Actiontec router is 2.4 GHz wireless N. Depending on the environment, that router probably won't get over 50 mbps. You may just need a better router or wireless access point that is dual band 2.4/5 GHz wireless AC or AX(wifi 6). To put things in perspective, you only need 25 mbps to stream 4k and 8 tk stream 1080 which is the majority of content. 

To answer your questions...

1. Yes. Older ONTs are limited to 75 mbps on coax or ethernet. Newer ONTs are limited to 100 mbps on coax. 

2. Yes. Since you are dropping TV you can get a pair of MoCA 2.0 adapters. Setup would be...

ONT > ethernet > 1st adapter > coax > 2nd adapter > ethernet to router. 

3. Mesh routers are very popular, but any router with gigabit ethernet ports and dual band wireless AC or AX will work. 

4. If you have an older ONT then yes 100% a tech needs to come out to upgrade the ONT. If already a gigabit capable ONT you can run ethernet yourself and call Verizon to switch to ethernet. Then you'll be able to upgrade to any speed Verizon offers. 

CrysCrosby
Enthusiast - Level 2

For reference, this is the ONT that I have on the exterior of my home... https://imgur.com/a/5iIx6Ln

0 Likes
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Unfortunately that is the 75/75 ONT so you will need a tech to do the upgrade. 

Dartbowl
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just curious how did this all turn out?  Were you able to get the 200/200 plan and actually see a difference in your connection speed.  I have what you had the same exact setup 75/75 with the same router.  I am thinking of doing the same change only keeping the TV and it will cost $150 for the switch plus $50 per month for the higher internet plan.

Are you satisfied with the way everything is working and are you using a verizon touter or your own?

0 Likes
alano99991

Hi 

Verizon makes a Fios Network Adapter which seems to convert Ethernet to coax and vice versa

Would a recommended setup be

ONT ethernet - Fios Adapter - Coax - Router

OR

ONT ethernet - Fios Adapter - Coax - Fios Adapter - Ethernet - Router

Thanks

0 Likes