Upgrading replaced FIOS router
philj3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi

It may be a simple question for many, but I did not want to take any chances of having no internet since everything is dependent on that. I have replaced my old FIOS router with Asus AC68u and it has been working great for past few years. I don't have FIOS TV/STBs. I do use my old Actiontec FIOS modem/router and another cheap actiontec for MOCA setup to leverage existing hardwired connection to another floor mainly for better coverage.      

I am now planning to upgrade my Asus to a higher end router since it has started getting unstable. Is that as easy to just power off and replace the 68U with new Asus and power on? Or do I need also take some steps on the ONT side such as release ip etc. I will appreciate if any one who has the experience can share some pointers .

I can see many posts that lays down how to change from FIOS to your own (which I used in the first place for my existing setup), but I did not see any posts that comments on how to upgrade existing setup.

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Upgrading replaced FIOS router
Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No need for DHCP release. Just unplug the WAN Ethernet from the old router and plug it into the new router. What high end router are you looking for?

View solution in original post

Cang_Household
Community Leader
Community Leader

No need for DHCP release. Just unplug the WAN Ethernet from the old router and plug it into the new router. What high end router are you looking for?

philj3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks for replying. I have merlin on Asus ac68u. I am thinking of upgrading to ax86u or similar.

0 Likes