Upload/download speeds differ
NeoDCat

My FIOS internet speed test shows an Upload speed of 40 Mps and download of 29 Mps. What gives and does this affect my internet access?

0 Likes
Re: Upload/download speeds differ
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

What speed package do you subscribe to, and how is your computer being connected back to the router (Wired or Wireless)?

Speeds like that don't say much right now. Other than those speeds being very much usable.

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

And what speed test site are you using?

Only thing Verizon guarantees is access to their network.

So run a test via Ethernet to speedtest.Verizon.net

0 Likes
NeoDCat

It's wireless and I have the 50/50 mps package. It's a desktop HP PC with built in wireless.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@Smith6612 wrote:

What speed package do you subscribe to, and how is your computer being connected back to the router (Wired or Wireless)?

Speeds like that don't say much right now. Other than those speeds being very much usable.

However I while reading this reply should point out, if you pay for 50/50 or 100/100 or 150/150 or higher the bare minimum should be your purchased speeds.

lower may be usable but not acceptable when a person is paying for a stated speed level.

I pay for a certain speed. There may be variables that affect the speed. Many devices using the connection, a bad router, a bad line coming in, a faulty wire along the route, and many other factors. In no way would I consider lower speed without a valid cause. 

You would not pay for 10 eggs out of a dozen because it is close to the dozen you expect. Why would you accept less in your data purchase?

0 Likes
bearball

I am also having the same issue. I am at 50/50 and did a speed test and came in around 1/2 those numbers. I did follow some of the instructions on the verizon site on how to improve my 'numbers'. I am questioning the two settings between 2.4 hz and 5.0 hz. My question is whether or not I should turn off the dual band and just go with the 5.0hz since my lap top is a few feet away from my wireless router. The other things that can be done involve interference from the neighbors. When I look at my available networks, Alot of my neighbors secured lines come up as available although password protected. You may have the same issue as the interference plays a big part. I also notice that when I have the microwave on, the washing machine or other newer appliances, my speeds go down. I am also looking at what band, or standard my computer is setup for. It is ashamed as you posted that they push the sales of things and really dont help in setting it up. You pay top dollar for verizon, but unless you are a computer nerd, you really can enjoy what is advertised. 

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon only guarantees service speeds over Ethernet and if you test to speedtest.Verizon.net.

I would assume other providers would say the same.

too many issues that can effect WiFi performance.

0 Likes
jonjones1
Legend

@bearball wrote:

I am also having the same issue. I am at 50/50 and did a speed test and came in around 1/2 those numbers. I did follow some of the instructions on the verizon site on how to improve my 'numbers'. I am questioning the two settings between 2.4 hz and 5.0 hz. My question is whether or not I should turn off the dual band and just go with the 5.0hz since my lap top is a few feet away from my wireless router. The other things that can be done involve interference from the neighbors. When I look at my available networks, Alot of my neighbors secured lines come up as available although password protected. You may have the same issue as the interference plays a big part. I also notice that when I have the microwave on, the washing machine or other newer appliances, my speeds go down. I am also looking at what band, or standard my computer is setup for. It is ashamed as you posted that they push the sales of things and really dont help in setting it up. You pay top dollar for verizon, but unless you are a computer nerd, you really can enjoy what is advertised. 

You must test with a hard wired connection to your router and to the Verizon speed test site as Rob said in his reply. If you see lagging speed then. I would call 1-800-VERIZON 

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

I don't remember if Verizon routers do so (I usually use a different router in my network for WIFI), but some routers default to limiting the top speed so there is capacity for other devices.  This is independent of QOS capabilities.  The limit for those with speeds 50 mbps or higher were to low. 

0 Likes