Upload speeds are terrible again
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

On 75/35 tier aNd today getting 84/5 from speedtest.

Download speed is consistently OK while the upload speed has been terrible for nearly a year now.  At the end of last month it suddenly started working OK - showed 85/36 - but is now back to the same pathetic upload speed.

The fact that it worked OK for a couple of days several weeks back would appear to me to point to something in the Verizon network causing the issue.

Anybody have an ideas on how I could get it permantly fixed?

0 Likes
Re: Upload speeds are terrible again
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

This is probably pretty basic, but might you have a nearby neighbor that has FiOS?  If so, do they have the same problem you're having?

It seems like that would give you more ammo when talking to Verizon support and trying to get them to do something about the erratic performance you're seeing.

0 Likes
erouterzone-inc

I agree its more like no matter what package you have it will slow down to speeds of 15MB down and only 12MB UP

its the PEERING core backbone that verizon is CHOOSING and FORCING us to use when they all very well know that better paths to the internet exist..

its because they are trying to slowdown the internet indirectly to cause a caos to its video streaming competition.

shaddy if you ask me

They are doing this any Verizon customer,, even business class G-PON ones.

I wrote two letters directly to them with proof just last week...

only because its like clock work now...

I almost have it timmed when it slows down, thats how lame it all is now .... Its all timmed.

Verizon Communications Inc.
Board of Directors [or Committee name, Lead Director,
Committee Chairperson, individual Director or non-employee
Directors as a group, as appropriate]

140 West Street, 6th Floor
New York, New York 10007

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Y'know, erouterzone-inc, when I see rants like yours I'm often tempted to post the fact that I never have the speed problems you're talking about.  I see ~85/38 with my 75/35 plan, 24/7/365.

I no longer have Netflix but I can tell you that I do stream HD movies from Amazon and never have a streaming problem.  Never.  Maybe at least part of the problem is Netflix trying to feed too much data from too few localized nodes?

In any case, my suggestion to viafax999 was a simple troubleshooting question that would come to mind if I were having the same problem he is.  I would want to confirm that the problem is within my location, my ONT/router, etc. etc, or outside and within the Verizon system.

I somehow doubt what viafax999 is seeing has anything to do with Verizon peering paths.

0 Likes
erouterzone-inc

I have no speed issues also if I was speed testing against verizons own speed test servers.....

Verizons core switches arent the issue.

Its when your handed off to the backbone core routers that your speeds will crawl for

either up or down..... Most of the time its the Peering router that is either bottle necked or is running over its

50% usage limit.

Speedtest.net and pick optonline/towerstream and that will be your actual speed leaving the verizon

network to the internet core routers.

I have noticed Level3.net to be very slow  due to video streaming usage.

I have also seen my uploads crawn as slow as 8mb

but if I speed tested against fios servers its FAST...

The key thing here is when people say its slow...

they should send in the Tracert and that will tell us everything we need to know.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@eljefe wrote:

This is probably pretty basic, but might you have a nearby neighbor that has FiOS?  If so, do they have the same problem you're having?

It seems like that would give you more ammo when talking to Verizon support and trying to get them to do something about the erratic performance you're seeing.

After a little more searching it's obvious the issue must be something internal to my machine though I can't work out what it is.
I use as my main machine win7 ultimate 64 bit and today speedtest reports 83.7 down a 4.8 up. The machine is on a double nat'd subnet.  I have 2 other machines on the same subnet running server 2008 64 bit with hyper-v and some vms.  One of the servers (the slowest cpu and memory wise) reports 87 down and 41 up.  The other server is showing 9.5 down and 9.5 up.
I'm beginning to suspect either the in wall wiring or some of the patch cords being bad
0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

Sounds like you're on the trail of the problem.

How about using a fresh length of Cat 5/6, just running across the floor, directly from one of the problem machines to your router?  That would take the wall wiring and other patch cords out of the loop.

You also might swap router ports between the machine that's reporting good speeds and either of slow boxes, just to elminate the remote possiblity of a flakey port or two.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@erouterzone-inc wrote:

I agree its more like no matter what package you have it will slow down to speeds of 15MB down and only 12MB UP

its the PEERING core backbone that verizon is CHOOSING and FORCING us to use when they all very well know that better paths to the internet exist..

its because they are trying to slowdown the internet indirectly to cause a caos to its video streaming competition.

There's nothing wrong with my download speed, it's only the upload that is messed up which is why it doesn't make sense.

I've never had issues streaming, Netflix runs in full HD with absolutely no issues at any time of any day. It's more like something is choking the outbound side but status of the nic shows very little outbound traffic.

0 Likes
thisbejoe7
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm having exactly the same problem!  I have service in Tampa, FL and for about 1 week now my upload speed has been horribly slow!  Download speed is okay as always.  I'm on the 75/35 plan and normally I get about 85Mbps download and 35MBps upload which is great!  I've had Verizon FIOS for several years and never had an issue like this before.  Until about a week ago and suddenly only my upload speed is crapping out on me.  

I opened a ticket with Verizon and they sent a tech out this morning.  The tech said there was no problem, he tested at the ONT and at the router (which I don't believe) and said the speed was "normal".  Then we ran a speedtest on my PC and on my daughters laptop hard wired directly to the router and the upload speed is lucky to make it over 8Mbps.  A far cry from the normal 35Mbps I usually get.  

Verizon is blaming my home computers or network equipment, but I don't see how thats possible.  I've made no changes lately, and there are no other symptoms aside from the slow upload speeds.  Although I did notice that I am unable to RDP into my home network from outside on a custom port foward to a virtual PC I have running on my computer at home.  I'm getting encryption errors but have never had a problem with this before, and it started at the same exact time I noticed the slow down on my FIOS upload speeds.  

I've tried all the speedtest websites and they all show the same thing.  Great download speeds, but upload never makes it over 8Mbps.  The techs don't seem to know what to do, and Internet chat support isn't helpful either.  I'm going to power cycle all of my home gear this evening just to satisfy Verizon, but I am 99.9% certain that is not the problem.  

I don't understand how the tech can say he tested the speed from a direct connection to the router and it was fine, but then we put my daughters laptop on it hard wires and do a speed test and it shows the same slow upload speeds as before.  I don't think he's being completely honest.  My guess is he has no idea what the problem is.  Neither do I, but I just wanted to chime in and add my voice to this issue.  It doesn't seem to be just me.  

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@thisbejoe7 wrote:

Verizon is blaming my home computers or network equipment, but I don't see how thats possible.  I've made no changes lately, and there are no other symptoms aside from the slow upload speeds.  Although I did notice that I am unable to RDP into my home network from outside on a custom port foward to a virtual PC I have running on my computer at home.  I'm getting encryption errors but have never had a problem with this before, and it started at the same exact time I noticed the slow down on my FIOS upload speeds.  

That's interesting.  I can't rdp into either of my servers either.  I have a port forward rule on the external facing VZ router that forwards custom ports to an internal dlink router which has port forward rules to the 2 servers that takes the input custom port number and forwards to the regular RDP port number.  I figured the issue was either that rule or the firewall on the 2008 servers was rejecting the input.  I really don't think it can be the pf rule as I am doing the same thing for IIS on the 2 servers and it works fine.

0 Likes