Use 5G selectively
Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

I have devices that can connect via 5G and I would like to connect these devices to 5G to aleviate the traffic on 2.4G. But the Verizon Quantum router assigns the same SSID to both 2.4 and 5G. So how can I force my devices to connect selectively to 5G since they both have the same ssid? How to differentiate?

Why won't the Verizon Quantum router settings allow me to assign a different SSID to the 5G radio (like other routers do) so I can connect selectively to it?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Use 5G selectively
Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

SON is most likely enabled. Login to your Router at 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgateway.com and turn off SON

Go to Wireless Settings/Advanced Security Settings/ Other Advanced Wireless Options/Self-Organizing Network Enabled and set to Off

You can also try doing it through the My FiOS App. After it is turned off you should see FiOS-XXXXX and FiOS-XXXXX-5G. 

View solution in original post

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

SON is most likely enabled. Login to your Router at 192.168.1.1 or myfiosgateway.com and turn off SON

Go to Wireless Settings/Advanced Security Settings/ Other Advanced Wireless Options/Self-Organizing Network Enabled and set to Off

You can also try doing it through the My FiOS App. After it is turned off you should see FiOS-XXXXX and FiOS-XXXXX-5G. 

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

Thanks for the quick and accurate response.

SON was indeed turned on. You were correct. I turned it off and was able to change the SSIDs.

SON must have been turned on by default because I do not remember ever turning it on.

Now that it is turned off, are there any settings that I should check on? Channels, etc.?

Thanks again.

Anderson7
Contributor - Level 1

I wanted to give you a kudos but the browser wouold not let me. I did accept it as the answer.

Edg1
Community Leader
Community Leader

No problem. You can download a wifi analyzer app from the Play Store to see what are the best channels to use. 

When the router did it's update it most likely enabled SON. 

Joeperi
Enthusiast - Level 2

I vaguely remember an update from Verizon telling me that from now on my laptop will automatically select the appropriate SSID . I think thats when SON got turned on.

0 Likes